We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
507 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

Having decided on using the train instead of a taxi I've just seen that the Airtrain is suspended until July. Has anyone found that this has affected the travel time significantly? We're two adults and a 6 year old so if the journey is going to be significantly longer then maybe we'll get the cab for convenience.

Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
507 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

I found a good thread over on Flyertalk that went in to detail on various options.

flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1567761-ai…

The Newark Liberty Airport Express ($16 each) sounded like a good option until I read the recent reviews. Can anyone say anything positive about it? i was wondering about catching it into town and then getting a taxi for the return trip.

Scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

We've been discussing this too and are hoping for some feedback soon from travellers on how they found the whole experience arriving at Newark and what transportation they ended up using. Here's the link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k73533…

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
507 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

Thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye on it for real life feedback. Tempted to risk the express coach in to Bryant Park and then get a cab for the return to the airport. The mood of our 6 year old could influence what we do as we'll be landing at around his Swedish bedtime. Newark was our best option for a direct flight when we booked so we're hopefully still saving time compared to transferring at a European airport.

Scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

Ah yes - everything revolves round the children! Hopefully it won't be too much for him. When are you travelling? I'm at the end of May and hoping someone will post before that on how bad or good the transfer was. I will also post on my return too so that it helps others.

I'm kicking myself because I had the choice of JFK or Newark and chose Newark because of its quickness (usually). Couldn't believe it when I read months later about the Airtrain closures aargh!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
507 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

23-29 May. First time in NYC so getting suitably excited. Various activities lined up with a child in mind - ferry ride, the Intrepid, Top of the Rock, the aerial tram, Brooklyn, Central Park, toy stores. Some others which might not make the cut - Coney Island (too much like Southend-on-Sea?), Museum of Natural History and a Broadway show (we're in London at least twice a year). I'll try to post which travel option we used once we're at the hotel.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

Kids usually love the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. I guess the issue is whether you've been to similar exhibits in Europe.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

There is a major roadworks project going on - it just started about a month ago. The Pulaski Skyway overhaul. It's a very big deal - it's causing huge backups coming into Manhattan. It only impacts inbound traffic.

The emergency shutdown of AirTrain Newark couldn't come at a worse time because they're trying to steer drivers to the train (in general - not just Newark Airport) and then they take this critical link out for 75 days (but it is apparently a dire situation and they pretty much determined the thing might collapse if they waited two years).

I think the Newark Airport (AirTrain Newark) replacement buses to Newark Penn Station where there is even more frequent train service and connectivity to PATH trains is the best option.

8. Re: Newark Airtrain closure - travel time to Bryant Park area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 14, 2015