We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Topic
NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Hey guys

Really want to come in November. 2adults

Looking quickly at time square hotels 5 nights = $2,000-ish

That is not what I want to spend on accommodation in a city, I am out all day home late and to bed. We are not fussy esp when going to a city as we only use the room to store our items and sleep, clean and Safe is all we are really looking for! I have Times Square in mind as a base but open to suggestions. I stayed in radio city last visit and location was great.

So what is our options ? Don't come to NY if we don't want to spend 2k for accommodation or is there a way to do 5 nights in NY cheaper ????

Thanks for any help you can provide

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

In order get help you need to post your EXACT dates because prices vary depending on what is going on in town. Are you by chance looking at the first weekend in November and running up against the NYC marathon?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,843 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

That is almost US$400 per night. I think you can still get for less than that.

try looking at trivago.com

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,046 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Of course you can stay for less. As asked above EXACT DATES and desired budget are needed.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Hotel prices fluctuate from day to day. What are your exact dates? Are you flexible with when you travel? Some November dates will be more expensive than others.

Tell us more about your hotel needs. Is it just two of you? Or are you a larger family? How many beds do you need for the family?

If it's just two of you, and you're seeing prices at $400/night, you might be looking around NYC marathon time.

What is your target budget per night, in USD? Keep in mind that taxes will add ~15% to the base price.

Which airport are you using? If flexible, is flying into JFK okay? There are a bunch of more affordable hotels that are VERY convenient to Manhattan in Long Island City (a neighborhood in Queens that is a very short subway ride into Manhattan), but if you fly into Newark, getting there is a pain.

The more info you can provide, the more help the forum can provide :-)

Edit: Once again, I took too long to post (dogs and boyfriend distracted me). I'm repeating much of what has been stated above

Edited: 6:45 pm, May 11, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

The first Sunday in Nov. is the NYC Marathon which makes prices skyrocket (supply and demand). If you come around Thanskgiving, you should see better prices or the middle of the month. Look at the Hotel at Times Square (not in TS but near it). I'd book a cancelable rate.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

I agree with Long Island City. You'll pay a fraction of the price there, and it's just a few stops outside of midtown.

Edited: 7:01 pm, May 11, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Hey everyone thanks for the feed back.

Dates I looked at are 1-6th Nov

I am flexible, is is marathon over ?

Needs for hotel; not much clean / safe in or on time square as a base. It's just me and my husband

Based on that have you any hotel suggestions ??

I'm glad to hear I can get more affordable rates as I was about to write off our visit

We would be flying into JFK

hope I have given you guys all the info you need in order to help me

Thanks ;)

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Comfort Inn Manhattan from the 29th of November to the 4th of December costs $1300 for a room with 2 double beds. I've just been looking at it on booking.com. Not sure if it's close to Times Square as I've never been to NY but seems to have good reviews.

Edited: 7:44 pm, May 11, 2014
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

You still haven't mentioned what your budget is...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Accommodation prices as crazy as ever..

Regards budget I'd like to keep it under €1,000 for 5 nights

I don't know if that's realistic ??

Thanks