We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Dublin
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Hoping to book Tavern on the Green for dinner on christmas evening for my husband and myself and two teenagers (16 and 13). Having visited their website there seems to be lots of different areas in the Restaurant. Any suggestions as to where is best to reserve a table.

Also the same questions for The Rock Cafe any are in the restaurant better than others.

Thanks to all for all the info I have picked up by reading all the other topics posted.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Book it soon.... Christmas gets busy. At Rock I would ask for a room with view of the rink. At Tavern...I don't know that it matters. All rooms I have dined in there were over the top lovely.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

The most popular room at TOV is the Crystal Room. It can also be the noisiest. It's all glass with lots of crystal chandeliers so it's beautiful but not a lot to muffle the sound. I'd go for it though. You can talk after :)

I agree with Voy, at Rock Center Cafe, try to get as close to the windows on the ice rink as possible. Ofcourse that's what everyone wants.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Never been to Tavern on the Green or Rock Cafe - very touristy thing to do, dissaprove.

Wales, UK
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Thanks New Yorker, also coming to NY from the UK for Christmas, and looking for somewhere good to eat, but must be child friendly, don't mind about the cost though. Any suggestions from a local greatly appreciated.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

FWIW - I took my family to Tavern on the Green for that quintessential New York tourist-dining experience on Easter Sunday. The food was decent, but certainly not the best I've had, and when I got the $500 bill for four people (that's before tipping the captain AND our actual waiter) I definetly wished that we had gone elsewhere. We ate in the Crystal Room, which I was glad of because the other rooms weren't as good-looking and smelled like a combination of wood and mold. I only mention this because I assume they treat Christmas and Easter the same and will have a set menu whose price varies depending on what room you eat in. Had I known what we were getting, I would have gone someplace for the food on Easter and saved the Tavern experience for one of the other days we were in the city (their regular prices aren't that bad at all). Here's hoping your experience is better!

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Having posted my message I then read yours I rang Tavern on theGreen tonight, they said the Crystal room(about $129 pp) looks out over the park and every angle has a view but they also said it is the largest of the rooms which put me off slightly, xmas dinner in the main room is $89.00 (plus tax and 18% gratutity which I think is high) now the peninsula is doing three sittings at $65.00 for a hot/cold brunch which i would expect to be fab.

Where are you staying i.ehotel

Dublin
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Wspricket thanks for your info. I have already booked for Xmas Day but after your message I am seriously considering cancelling and doing it some other time during our trip. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions - we want to go somewhere nice but not be completely ripped off. We are staying in the Marriott on Lexington.

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tavern on the Greeen - Xmas Dinner

Hello,

Just a wondering if you have any other suggestions of restaurant for Christmas Dinner. I know tis late in the day but was hoping for a less touristy place????

Staying at the Radio City Apts so fairly central would be great.