We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

I want to travel to Queens on my next trip to NY and have done some research but pretty much everything seems to centre around eating.

I was thinking of getting the 7 line out to the Queens Museum and then exploring the park and then catching the train out to the end of the line to Chinatown for a meal. I'm not interested in the main cuisines that seem to be on offer in Jackson Heights. Are there are any other suggestions for places to visit that involve experiences and not eating?

Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

For a panoramic view of the Manhattan skyline, head out to the Gantry State Park in Long Island City in Queens. This is accessible by the #7 subway line. Here was my review of the park:

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

Queens is generally not a tourist destination except for baseball and tennis. The Queens Museum model of NYC is fun to see, though the exhibits tend to be of contemporary art as it is a low budget operation. It does have a long term loan of some nice Tiffiany lamps that were made nearby. Check the museum hours before you come out here. The park was never actually built after the World's Fair and it remains a flat area. In season, it is heavily used by Latin American soccer leagues.

Flushing, at the end of the #7 line has many restaurants. Many are Chinese, but there are also Korean and Japanese. There is a Buddhist restaurant called Happy Buddha or Grateful on the north side of 37th Ave, west of Main St. that serves curious imitations of meat dishes, as well as, veggie items.

Flushing is not tourist oriented as Chinatown, Manhattan, but serves the local Asian population. There are some historical structures: the Quaker Meeting (1694 ) which is across from the Flushing Town Hall, both on Northern Blvd. at Linden Place.

Along the #7 line are various ethnic areas. East of 74th St., you encounter Latin American restaurants, often Colombian and Dominican.

staten island
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

Edited: 9:53 am, May 05, 2014
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

museum of the moving image in Astoria as well as PS1/MoMA and the socrates sculpture park.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

I disagree with Fox11354, as I have been trying to promote Queens as a tourist destination for the past decade.

I've posted several walking tours of Queens on this board - I wish I could find one of them.

One of the things you have to understand about the borough is that what makes it special is its rich ethnic neighborhoods, rather than specific monuments or museums. You don't have to eat your way through them, but you have to enjoy seeing businesses and people from a stunning range of cultures.

For instance, on 74th Street in Jackson Heights, Butala Emporium is a really cool shop full of Indian ... stuff. It's hard to explain, but it's an amazing amount of stuff. More Ganesh statues than you've ever seen in one place, probably. On 69th Street in Woodside, the Phil-Am Grocery Store is full of Filipino brands that you might not have seen before. At Nixtamal in Corona, you can actually watch tortillas get made from masa on a big tortilla machine.

So Queens is mostly about seeing how people live, rather than buildings designed for tourists.

That said, yes, we do have "tourist attractions." They include some listed above, but also some that people have missed.

* Gantry Plaza State Park - great views, great hammocks

* PS1 - The city's flagship museum of contemporary art

* The Fisher-Landau Collection - another nearby contemporary art museum

* Isamu Noguchi Museum - devoted to the work of a well-regarded sculptor

* Socrates Sculpture Park

(those five are basically in a line as you go up from Long Island City through Astoria)

* The Museum of the Moving Image (the history of movies, always fun)

* We're big on beer gardens; Studio Square is right by the Museum of the Moving Image

* The Unisphere, science museum (for kids), zoo (for kids) and the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Park

... and further out ...

* John Bowne House in Flushing is from the mid-1600s

* Flushing Meeting House, built in 1694 and a big part of US religious tolerance history

* Spa Castle, an amazing four-story spa and water park in College Point

* Queens County Farm Museum is an actual farm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

This may be the thread jhwanderer means...lots of great info

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Most helpful.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

I've done several of the things on jhwanderer's list and enjoyed them all. I personally found Flushing Meadows/Corona Park quite nice on a mild fall day, enjoyed the Queens Museum (includes the Panorama cityscape), and seeing the Unisphere up close. I've also been to Flushing for the Spa Castle, getting off the train at the Main St station is like being in a different country. I've also stayed in LIC hotels many times so I've wandered around there and nearby Astoria, etc. I think it's a great way to get away from the tourist crowds for an afternoon, or a day.

10. Re: What is there to do in Queens apart from eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 08, 2015
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question