We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food heaven NYC

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food heaven NYC

Hi everyone,

Do you have any recommendations for some great restaurants (not too pricey) in Manhattan, New York?

The best steakhouse / bbq / ribs & steak restaurant

The best burgers

The best diners etc

I want a huge american meal that I probably won't be able to finish!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food heaven NYC

Ritz Diner on the Upper East Side is always a go to for me. If you like Empanadas, try out a place called Empanada Mama on 9th Avenue, lovely stuff. For an old school hidden gem of a diner, make sure you visit Empire Diner, all celebs used to go here back in the day! Shorty's (has three locations) does a dime Philly Cheesesteak if that's your thing. For hot dogs on the fly, in the UWS there is a place (legendary) called Gray's Papaya hotdogs, real cheap and super tasty. For something a little different, there is a 24 hour biscuit place called 'Empire Biscuit', seriously decadent and delicious southern soul biscuits.

Edited: 2:08 am, May 01, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food heaven NYC

Wow. You will get a million suggestions re the "best" types of foods that you have listed.

Run a search and see some if the past threads that have some ideas.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food heaven NYC

Chowhound will also offer some good ideas. As will Ziggy's blog.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food heaven NYC

Honestly - just to to 9th Avenue between 42 and 60 streets and you will see many, many, many restaurants of all types and all price points. And I second Empanada Mama which is at 9th between 51 and 52

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food heaven NYC

Courtney, there are LOADS of previous posts on these subjects as well as dozens of specialty websites for the things you asked about if you do a google search. The search engines on the forum are near the green boxes that say search. The whole point of NYC is the HUGE number of choices and the fact that everyone has their own favorites. If you tell us where you're staying, we might at least be able to point you to some contender for best near your hotel. Otherwise, this is like asking how long is a piece of string. ;)

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,591 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food heaven NYC

What in the world is an empanada? Apparently they are very popular in NYC.

New York
Level Contributor
585 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food heaven NYC

it is a baked or fried dumpling usually filled with meat or cheese.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food heaven NYC

They are the offspring of a Cornish Pasty

;0

Melbourne
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food heaven NYC

Any value suggestions for places around 48th and Lexington (staying at the marriott there)?

Doesn't have to be super close, we enjoy walking around and seeing the sights! Anything within a couple of miles would be fine.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food heaven NYC

AdamandSara, Le Relais de Venise Entrecote is an outpost of a French restaurant that specializes in moderately priced steak. It's 2 blocks from your hotel. I haven't tried it but many like it.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

The Smith is a nice bistro type place serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and also not far.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/the-smith-2/

The original P.J. Clarke's is also nearby, known for good burgers.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/pj-clarkes/

Mimi's is an Italian place with a kitschy piano player.

menupages.com/restaurants/mimis-restaurant/

Here's a map with those places and your hotel

http://goo.gl/maps/8i0hR