We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of medical services at duane reid?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
cost of medical services at duane reid?

hi. i have seen it mentioned, that some branches of duane reid have drop-in medical centres. i have recurring chest infections, for which i usually am prescribed a one-week course of tetracycline and a steroid.

can anyone tell me what it would be likely to cost to get these prescribed at a drop-in clinic? sadly, the nhs is unwilling to prescribe 'just in case'.

i would be grateful to hear from anyone who has used the service, if you would be so kind...

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

I have never seen this at a Duane Reade. However, I do use urgent care centers around the city from time to time. My favorite is CityMD - they have several locations and they're really efficient. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes to see someone, and they always seem calm and competent. If you have no insurance, I'd expect a visit like this to cost between $150-250.

http://www.citymd.pth4.com/

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

ok - thank you. i do have insurance, but for this type of thing, it is pay first and claim back. nice to have an idea about the possible cost - we are only told 'the u.s.a. is EXPENSIVE for medical problems'! to get this in perspective - the prescription charges on items i've needed in the last 3 weeks are over $100; from our supposedly 'free at point of use' nhs. so $250 doesn't sound so scary.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

Remember that that's just the cost for the visit. The medication will cost extra.

Edited: 10:13 am, April 26, 2014
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

ok - thank you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

Tetracycline is an "old" med. you should be able to get a week's supply of the generic version for under $25.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

Apparently Duane Reade does have clinics in store now. I always considered them a health & beauty aids place with a pharmacy and food items. See the website below:

http://www.drwalkin.com/

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

I called them up and the base charge is $132 at the clinic at Duane Reade. This does not include the cost of medications at the pharmacy or of lab tests that might be ordered.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

wow! thank you so much fox11354! i hope i won't need it - but at least i know now. and there is one shown on the map quite close to where i'm staying.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

Not all stores have the clinic, be sure the on near you does. (And I hope you don't need it)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of medical services at duane reid?

You would be much better bringing the meds with you. Speak to your doctor.

Edited: 5:43 pm, April 26, 2014