We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

I have been enjoying all of the fabulous TRs lately so thought I would share our brief but happy experience yesterday (although probably not as eloquently as most of the other TRs)!

We: family who lives on Long Island who travel into city fairly often for touristy things, concerts, sports events, classes, sometimes work, etc. As it’s spring break for kids (16yr girl, almost 14yr boy) I decided last minute to take them in for the day. Was hoping to do Ellis Island but since OH couldn’t make it (and he wants to do that trip) we decided on a food tour of Greenwich Village by Free Tours by Foot.

Now, while the girl loves the city, the boy… not so much so I am on a mission to change his mind, expand his horizons, etc and I think this was a great start!

The tour itself was great, our guide was Meredith and she was cute and lovely and knowledgeable. It was a nice mix of history, back stories of restaurant choices and food. Some places were chosen because they are historical or iconic (Mamoums for Falafel/Faiccos for rice balls), some were chosen because they had nice backstory or newer establishments that a local enjoys supporting (Bleecker St. Pizza/ Bantum Bagels) and then some maybe just because they were delicious (Artichoke Pizza/Sugar & Plumm).

The tour is 2 hours, covers about a mile or so, the kids smiled and were engaged, the food was delicious , the cost was great (we spent about $15 on samples (even picky boy tried everything!) and happily tipped Meredith at the end) and the village just has that cool factor that was a hit with the teens.

After the tour & some shopping we subway’d back to midtown to drop Girl off with friends for concert and Boy and I went to Chelsea Piers to check out batting cage (disappointment, LH cage out of order) & a walk on the Highline. After the batting cage bust figured I’d compensate with a trip to candy store… and wanted to steer clear of TS so we hopped back on subway to economy candy and arrived 15 minutes too late! Another bust but he was taking it in stride (and drooled through window of candy store, a must do next trip!). By that time he was hungry again (grows an inch/day this kid!) so his choice (after 2 busts!) was 5 guys back in the village which is a good burger IMO, then subway back to midtown to grab our car. Was hoping for last minute tickets via stubhub to basketball (no game!) or hockey (too expensive bc of playoffs) … I would have been the rockstar if I could have pulled that off.. oh well, next time!

The most surprising? The teens LOVED it (teens don’t usually love anything!)… they loved the village, loved the meandering streets, the beautiful buildings, the tidbits of history (even more so than the food aspect) and my son is starting to change his mind! He said afterwards that he liked lower Manhattan SO much more than midtown where he has been the most (usually for him Xmas time, sporting events, etc). While the OT and I usually come in and proceed directly downtown, I guess we haven’t taken the boy to the village before (she’s been to many concerts downtown)… Shame on us. Oh, and the boy gawked at the nighttime skyline from the car as we headed out of town! Success!

Now the boy is really looking forward to his birthday gift which is the Gangs of NY tour (by Big Onion Tours) that we had planned for next week… I think this more in depth history tour will be an even bigger hit with all of us!

So thank you forum for always giving me good ideas to impress family and friends with and I hope that I gave some good feedback especially to those with hard to please teens! I think the success of the tour lies in them hearing the stories and recommendations from a tour guide rather than their way uncool parents ;) !

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

What a great day...Sounds like the start of many more great days.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

+1 Great day! It will help encourage visitors to do more than just the usual big tourist sites. We always urge them "explore interesting neighborhoods".

I've added it to the Top Questions section, for Trip Reports with teens :-)

ontario
Level Contributor
266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

How lucky to be able to enjoy NYC one weekend at a time.... I am jealous!

England
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

spacey21, that was a great report and something we would enjoy. Coming to NYC with two teens (boy15/girl17) late July and would be interested , where can we book this?

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

Trolli... Google "free tours by foot nyc"

And you will find their website... They have few different food tours but I think the GV location really was a hit with my kids. Have a great time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

Lovely to hear that locals who live in NYC are helped just as much as us tourists by all the info on here. We will have our 2 teens with us so this sounds interesting. Thanks for posting.

England
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

spacey21, thanks for the info. I have just had a look on their website and it is absolutely amazing with the amount of tours they offer. Will decide with the family which one to try.

Thank you TA for offering the forum ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,426 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

So what did the Boy think of the High Line? How much of it did you walk? I'm curious what a teenager would think of it.

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

The boy thought it was cool...

He really wanted yo see the loungers that roll on the tracks but we went up toward the north end and walked north... And then he didn't want to turn and walk south again (was into the candy store idea).

There were lots of teens up there (big groups of girls) and lots of selfies being taken;)

10. Re: Geenwich Village Food Tour - A hit with TEENS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 20, 2015