We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

Atlanta
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

Hey,

I am looking for a NYC kosher restaurant (can be meat or dairy), for a Saturday night dinner with a few requirements:

1) Romantic: (Dimly lit) and not loud

2) Great food

3) Not too far away from Newark

4) Would prefer to spend less that $100 per person

The above requirements are listed in order of importance. 1 being the most important.

Thanks for your advice and help.

1. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, April 02, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

Le Marais is loud.

Are you willing to come to Manhattan? Are we talking summer or winter? (You realize you'll be dining late, right?)

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

My sister highly recommended Abigaels to us but we don't go to NY till next week so I don't know what it's like or where it is!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

when? le marais, and many others, close saturdays in 'summer' - no dates given. obviously, they only open after sunset.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

"Not too far away from Newark" ? What are you trying to get at by this requirement?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

V Note and Candle Cafe are vegetarian retaurants that are very nice.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

Why would you try to find a good Kosher restaurant for Saturday night? It's like trying to find a good bar in a dry county, or a good steak at a Buddhist retreat.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

The OP is looking for Kosher on Saturday night because that's when shabbat ends. Shabbat runs Friday sundown to Saturday sundown and many Kosher places are open late on Saturday night

Another question for the OP is how strict does it have to be?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

Thanks for your advice, suggestions and comments. To clarify, staying in Hasbrouk Heights NJ. Driving into the city Sat night around 9 (after the Jewish Sabbath ends) and I am looking for a good meal with family. Could stay in the Hasbrouk Heights area but it seems all Teaneck, et al good kosher places are not open Sat night.

My family who I will be dining with will be staying on the lower east side after dinner and I will be going back to Hasbrouk Heights. I would prefer not to drive all over Manhattan Sat night.

OU, OK, Mehadrin, etc. would be fine but I am looking for that level or "higher" as I keep to orthodox standards.

This dinner will be within a few weeks.

Thanks for your responses as I imagine I'll have to make the reservation by tonight if I'll have a chance at getting in.

Edited: 2:07 pm, April 02, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kosher restaurant with a few limitations

Mike's Bistro. I think Etc. Steakhouse in Teaneck is open on Saturday night, they certainly used to be.