We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

Hello, my husband and I are coming to New York April 18-21. I have read over some other posts and I only get more overwhelmed about planning what to do/see. We have not booked a hotel yet because Im not sure where we should stay. My question is should we save money by staying somewhere like Long Island City? Or would it be easier and more enjoyable for us as first timers to stay in an area like Times Square. I would like to keep our hotel under $300/night if possible. We want to see all the typical tourist things like Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Museum of Art, ESB, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge etc. Is there anything as a first timer we should not miss? I also would like to see broadway show Of Mice and Men... Has anyone saw it? Liked it? I am just so overwhelmed with planning where to stay and what to do. I also saw how people book attractions with neighborhoods. Are the subways easy to navigate? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im 27 and my husband is 33.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

use googlemaps

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

<<Its at Longacre Theatre, 220 West 48th Street... Is that near Times Square?>>

Google is your friend

https://goo.gl/maps/PwNEn

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

Do get a map of Manhattan and or a guidebook - a small investment that will pay off in the end,

And do use GOOGLE - that's where many of the responders find their answers!

Poppa

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

We have just got back from our first trip to NYC. We stayed near Times Square, which was a good choice in terms of being central. Make a list of the things you really want to do and then group them into areas - for example we went to the 9/11 memorial the same day as Brooklyn bridge. The subway was reasonably easy to follow - though watch out for the express trains that don't stop at every station. We didn't fancy the bus tour as it looked like it would get stuck in traffic but we did a bike tour round Central Park and Harlem and it was great. Use tripadvisor and opentable to book restaurant tables while you're there - saves you wandering around trying to decide where to eat. You don't want to turn your trip into a military manoeuvre but some planning does help you get more from your visit.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

Of Mice and Men is in previews until April 16, so the critics haven't reviewed it yet. Comments on theater oriented message boards are all over the map. If the show interests you, I'd say go for it.

There is a discount available at broadwaybox.com. Discounted seats might be (probably are) limited to less desirable locations, so you might have to balance location vs. cost. But the theater isn't all that large (1091 seats), so if you can avoid the seats on the extreme sides, you should be fine.

One more note on the theater: the description I read (at entertainment-link.com/broadway-theaters.asp ) says that there are four "structural pipes" between rows B & C of the balcony that "should not interfere with your view of the stage." In general, I find this source to be pretty reasonable in the way they describe good & bad locations in theaters. So I tend to believe them, but better to be well informed before you choose seats.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

When you get to the city go to NYC & Co on 7th near 53rd (next to Chase Bank.) They have tons of maps & several free guidebooks. Go to the desk & ask for their sheet of discounts & take it to the box office (Of Mice & Men is on the sheet.)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

When you get to the city go to NYC & Co on 7th near 53rd (next to Chase Bank.) They have tons of maps & several free guidebooks. Go to the desk & ask for their sheet of discounts & take it to the box office (Of Mice & Men is on the sheet.)

Reading, England...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

We have a hotel booked in New York and going in June, Wed-Monday

Can someone recommend what we should do (3 day pass- hop on and off bus, theatre?) thank u

new york
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

Sedge - I don't know if you meant to, but you posted on a thread that is a year old. You will get more help if you start your on thread. Also, I would recommend reading trip reports and threads that list people's itineraries to get an idea of what might interest you.

What do you want to do? Museums? See architecture? Explore neighborhoods? Parks? Musical or straight play for theater?

20. Re: Help! Planning trip to New York don't know where to start...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 15, 2016