We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

Hi,

I am flying into New York from Canada on a Saturday evening (getting in about 5pm) during June. I would really really really like to go see a show that night at 8pm but I am worried I won't get there in time. Can anyone let me know if say 2 1/2 hours (assuming the plane is a bit late) is enough time to get through customs and either shuttle/train to Manhatten?

Cheers,

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

I would not do it. Also, are you then planning on taking your luggage to the theater? What will you do with it once there? Many theaters do NOT have coat rooms. --and even those that do, will not necessarily open them in the warm months.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

Where are you flying from? If you're coming from home, you would be stopping on the west coast and would go thru customs and immigration there I think. I still think it's tight and wouldnt buy tickets in advance, but you might be able to get 1 ticket right before curtain to many shows if you're staying in the theater district.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

If you're flying from Canada you're most likely to clear US Customs at the Canadian airport. From which airport are you flying? As you've read, it would be tight under any circumstances.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

I feel silly I didnt see Canada. That begs the question of which airport. If LGA which is very close to Manhattan, this becomes more feasible, esp. If you clear customs in Canada. Stil a risk with delays and the issue of luggage.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

You can take Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then take Long Island Rail Road ( LIRR) to Penn Station. This is the fastest.

You can leave your bags at bag storage at Penn Station.

I think you can do it in 2.5 hours provided everything goes perfectly. :)

Edited: 11:12 am, March 27, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

Thats assuming flying into JFK and using a private storage company. LIRR passengers don't have use of storage at Penn station.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

NYWIZ you are correct. LIRR ticket holders cannot store luggage at Penn Station.

You can try Schwartz Travel. My friend used it and had no issues.

http://schwartztravel.com/

Also, where are you staying at ? You may leave it in your hotel if it is nearby .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

.. no assuming:-) Title post reads JFK To Manhattan.... ;-) I agree it's a push.. Enjoy!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

I wouldn't do it just because of the risk of a delayed or canceled flight. It happens.

It's one thing to have $50 worth of baseball tickets at risk if a plane is delayed or canceled, but a typical Broadway show is much more than that; you risk losing hundreds of dollars.

Can you not see the show the following day?

10. Re: JFK to Manhatten - Saturday night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 29, 2015