We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Hi all,

We are from the UK and are planning a trip to New York to get married in May 2014. We arrive on Monday 19th and are getting married on Thursday 22nd at City Hall. We are getting married in the morning but not sure what to do for the rest of the day! Any recommendations besides the usual sightseeing spots?

We also need a nice restaurant and/or bar for our 'wedding night' meal and drinks. We want something special but we're both quite laid back so nothing too fancy or pretentious! Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Laura & Paul x

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,870 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

How many in your party? And your budget and food preference would help. Meanwhile, read a few sites below for more ideas on what YOU would like to eat and where:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/wheretoeat/2014/

http://eatingwithziggy.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,680 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Maybe here in Central Park: http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com

If not still dressed up, you would also take a row boat out into the lake right in front of it - it's a treat.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

If it's just the happy couple, or just you and a couple of other folks. River Cafe - hands down.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Sounds like our plan, arriving on the 19th except we plan to get married on the Wednesday, so also interested to hear of somewhere nice to go.

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Thanks for all the replies.

WEQueen - It will just be the 2 of us. We don't really have any food preference - except that I am a vegetarian (that eats fish), so preferably no steak houses!

MomCat1992 - sounds fab! Will check it out, thanks.

Real_Grenadine - looks brill, thanks for the recommendation.

r0naldmacd0nald - Oh wow! Congrats. Hope you have a fab time! Let me know any recommendations you get!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

"We are getting married in the morning but not sure what to do for the rest of the day! Any recommendations besides the usual sightseeing spots?"

Hire a limo or convertible and get taken around?

Or do a

phototrektours.com

and get your pics done

Go on a cruise? (haven't checked times and dates but...)

sail-ny.com

shearwatersailing.com

nywatertaxi.com

As for dinner, River Cafe is really popular but men are required to wear a jacket so not really casual. Lots of other options if you want them.

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

nywhiz - Thanks for your suggestions. We've booked a photographer for a few hours for our wedding so will be wandering around City Hall area and Soho/Tribeca to take some nice photos. And we have tickets for a river cruise... so excited!

We've booked the River Cafe after lots of research and recommendations - thanks all. Hope it lives up to the hype! xx

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Firstly congratulations!

Second, I have no doubt that the River Cafe will live up to the hype. I note that you eat fish and highly highly recommend the Maine Lobster which I ate when there in Febraury if its still on the menu. It's amazing.

Edited: 6:19 pm, March 29, 2014
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Even though I note you have booked your restaurant now, I think we are giving the Club A Steakhouse a go which is rated highly on trip advisor. I also see that Tavern on the Green has reopened again after it has been shut for ages. That seems nice.

We fly out to NYC on the 18th and get married on the 20th at the City Clerks office.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,952 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice restaurant/bar for our wedding night

Rebecca, although the Club A steakhouse is rated highly on Trip Advisor, I have never heard of it except on this forum, and it holds no distinction in the NYC food scene. TA is a great resource for many things, but not for restaurant recommendations. I'd advise taking a look at the Zagat ratings site, or choose one of the Michelin starred restaurants.

http://www.zagat.com/new-york-city

michelintravel.com/michelin-selection/…

Congrats on your wedding!