We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would be a good hotel for the following:

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
What would be a good hotel for the following:

My wife and I and teenage daughter are coming to NYC in late March. We will be arriving into JFK and taking a tour through OnBoard bus tours that will be meeting at:

The tour starts daily at 10:30am from 7th Avenue at 51st Street.

This tour hits the main things that we want to see, but does not do central park. We will have to do that on our own I guess, and my thinking was to maybe find a hotel very close to there so that we could just walk to it. However, I don't want to be too far away from where the tour picks up either (The tour starts daily at 10:30am from 7th Avenue at 51st Street). We are also thinking about taking the train to DC when we leave - maybe close to that? All that, and we don't want to break the bank on top of it all.

We'll probably stay two nights...arriving into JFK one afternoon and then staying the night. Do the tour the next day, stay the night, and then back to DC maybe via train. What are your thoughts on the best plan for us?

Thanks so much!

A Slice of Brooklyn Bus Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Food Tours
The New York Beer and Brewery Tour
Bus Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
On Location Tours
Walking Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Bus Tours
The Ride
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

The Hampton Inn Times Square North and Hilton Garden Inn Times Square are both near the start of the tour and walking distance to Central Park. Courtyard Central Park South would also work. You can take a subway or taxi to Penn station for the train to Washington.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

1. Perhaps you could clarify some details, such as: (i) the dates you plan to be in NYC and DC and your hotel budget including tax; and (ii) the bedding and room arrangements you would like. These can help the Forum hotel experts to be most responsive to your needs.

2. You also mention going :"back" to DC. Please clarify your current itinerary stops and number of days/nights involved in each stop--and whether you would consider either LA-NYC-DC-LA OR LA-DC-NYC-LA (which could save you time and money)?

3. You have also said the main tour "does not do central park. We will have to do that on our own I guess," This interactive site will help you plan your priorities for the Central Park portion. http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/

Edited: 9:56 pm, February 28, 2014
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

We already have flights booked from Los Angeles to Washington DC on March 22 and returning March 30. We decided while we are out there to take a flight to buffalo and see Niagara falls, then fly to NYC to do the highlight tour, then head back to DC. We were thinking about taking the train back to DC, but Im a little concerned about the no checked baggage deal since we will have the larger suitcases with us.

We cant alter the LA flights, so basically we'd like to do Niagara and NYC over a couple days.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

You can't check luggage on Amtrak but you can certainly bring it. Not an issue.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

Amtrak website said carry on had to be 28x22x14 max and we will have luggage bags that are a little bigger than that (I think 30"). They weigh less than 50 pounds, but I don't want to get onto the train and then have them tell me they wont fit and I cant check them.

Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

Try the Sheraton Times Square. Newly renovated rooms and we loved it

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

Amtrak is fine with larger luggage, no matter what the website says. If you can carry it on, you can take it.

In addition to overhead racks, there are floor areas on both ends of each car where larger bags can be placed.

It's not at all like air travel. Nothing has to be "securely stowed" and nobody is measuring or counting bags. You just have to have them out of the way and not taking up a seat.

If you do a forum search you'll find lots of other discussions confirming this.

Edited: 11:29 pm, February 28, 2014
Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

No worries with luggage on AMTRAK - if you can schlep it on - you'll be fine. Never saw anyone being denied passage due to their luggage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

I don't have specific hotel advice (you've gotten a couple of good ones already), but you don't need to stay very near the the bus pickup point (51st and 7th, at 10:30am). There are many hotels in all price ranges within a 30-minute leisurely walk of there. I would make a morning of walking there, before the bus tour.

-- Steve

10. Re: What would be a good hotel for the following:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 03, 2015