We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

From what I've read thus far, Eataly is an Italian supermarket with a few restaurants. I plan to come here on a date with my girlfriend tomorrow (Valentine's Day), and I was wondering if I need reservations. I don't plan on sitting down at a fancy restaurant and eating fancy foods. I just want to explore this market and if we see anything we like as we walk through, I want to sit down at a random table and eat with her. So, are there even stores/restaurants/stands where we can pick something up to eat and then find a table anywhere to just enjoy?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

The only restaurant that will take a reservation in Eataly is Manzo. Otherwise you just wait. I hope it's not mobbed. Valentine's Day is a night I would always opt for a reservation, but that's up to you.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

Check the EATALY website for venue specific information: here's a teaser for you -

RESTAURANTS & TAKE AWAY

Eataly offers 7 sit down restaurants with both table and bar seats. Each restaurant is positioned next to the market area that provides its fresh ingredients: Le Verdure is next to our abundant produce section, La Piazza to our fresh mozzarella and Salumi & Cheese Counters, Il Pesce to our fishmonger, La Pizza & Pasta to our Bakery and Manzo to our Butcher. Pranzo is in our Cooking School and Birreria is a rooftop restaurant that brews its own cask ales. Stop at our Panini Counter for a daily offering of housemade sandwiches and our Rotisserie Counter for handcarved meats, Cobb Cobb Chickens and assorted antipasti.

Website offers opening hours and menu specifics.....please do check it!

Poppa

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

You have all kinds of options. For the most part its sort of a casual cafeteria-like table service (without resvs) like pizza/pasta in the back, Seafood area, and veggie area right next to each other (I kinda wish they would combine the 2). Then you have something like La Piazza where you can snack on some cheese and salumi on a counter while standing (like having an aperitivo in downtown Milan), or you can take her to the beer garden on the roof for more snacks or a complete meal). If you don't want any sort of service you can get paninis or the roasted meat of the day sandwich (two locations next to each other by Manzo) and find a some counter space right there. Just walk around, explore, and don't worry about the initial crowd. Unless, you know, its crowded throughout

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

ahh thank you. just to clarify, so, i can just walk in with my date, look around, grab something to eat from a store (not a formal restaurant), and take a seat at an empty table? thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

If you can get a table in the crowd.

Sorry, I couldn't cope with the crowd in Eately - worse than our experience at Chelsea Market.

I know Ziggy and others love it and I wish you well......she says running off to Eisenberg's...oh no, she's back in Melb!!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

When we were there, which ended up being about 6pm on a random Friday night (unintentional result of poor planning after a day of wandering), it was a mob scene. I'm assuming our experience is typical.

If you can, go earlier in the day. If you're going after work, be mentally prepared for crowds in the main areas of the market and lines for the restaurants. For the most part, it's not really open food court type of seating. You wait in line for a table in the various non-fancy restaurants. That's fine and even fun if you know what to expect can handle it without being stressed.

The La Piazza area that Ziggy mentions, which is a place where you can find your own spot, was very crowded, completely full and so loud and chaotic that I couldn't stand being near it. That's just me though, but it was LOUD! We settled on turning the corner to a quieter spot of the market, and picking up already sliced delicacies to bring home.

We loved Eataly, bought a lot of stuff to bring back to our room and to bring home, and will surely be back next time we're in NYC, but not in the after-work-Friday time period.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

You feel the crowds when you walk in, walk out, and somewhere in between. Not that bad

polandsprings, yes and no. You can get a sandwich, ice cream, or coffee and enjoy it at a counter. But for the most part its table service or counter service, where you stand or sit by a counter somewhere and get served

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,649 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

"I don't plan on sitting down at a fancy restaurant and eating fancy foods. I just want to explore this market and if we see anything we like as we walk through, I want to sit down at a random table and eat with her"

You'll love it there then. And don't dismiss the food as "not fancy", cos it's very good.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

For Valentine's Day if EATALY is your destination, I'd prepare for a PLAN B.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations for Eataly?

do you know any similar places? my gf and i are very chill. its ok if we go to a restaurant or something but a place with candles and stuff where we need to make reservations days in advance is a bit over the top considering we havent been dating long. nothing too expensive either because well, we're students. thanks!