We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

northampton
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

Hi all, my husband and I are coming to NYC last week of March, and I'm wondering if we need to head out and buy ourselves some waterproof snow shoes, or if we'll be ok with just sneakers/boots type things. We'll be bringing our warmest coats and hats, gloves, scarves etc, but don't really want to buy new snow boots unless we have to! Should we each bring an umbrella too? Many thanks in advance!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

Sneakers/boots type things (what the heck are they/) - how about some waterproof walking shoes - you possibly may not even need any weather related footwear - it changes so frequently here.

Here's a good one for you - the temperature at Olympic Park in Sochi, Russia was 61F this morning (2/13/14).

Just check weather.com prior to your visit for conditions and predictions.

Poppa

USA
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

I wouldn't worry about it. By late March the chance of snow is very slight. It could and has happened before, but typically not. An umbrella is always a necessity, but even if you didn't have one, they're available anywhere.

3. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:33 am, February 14, 2014
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

Yes - snow is rare in late March - I remember one April a few years ago when it snowed and everyone was saying "boy, this is rare" - it could happen.

Just check weather.com prior to your visit - I think I mentioned that before.

Poppa

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

Comfortable boots for walking, layered clothing (too much heavy wool can get hot). Buy an umbrella when you arrive. Duane Reed sells them at reasonable rates. Have fun!

6. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:33 am, February 14, 2014
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

I always travel with a fleece and a packable rain jacket. The fleece comes in handy in cold air conditioned restaurants, regardless of the season. Wear them together, and they become a warm winter jacket.

northampton
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

Thanks so much for your responses! We can't wait to arrive!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

I think it can snow, esp. this year.

It is possible, don't be surprised. Its not highly likely, but possible.

http://www.nycweather.us

aviewoncities.com/nyc/nycweatherhistory.htm

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC weather in late March - am I going to need snow shoes?

As mentioned by others, heavy snow is not so common in late March. However, I do remember an Easter Sunday with a heavy wet snow of over a foot that was difficult to remove. We have had an unusually cold winter in NYC so far and this may not be a typical year. Other parts of the country have experienced uncommon cold spells and storms this year as well.