We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

Just putting it out there whether this is possible. We are arriving in New York on the 25 June and leaving New York on 20 July 2014. Would it be possible (and worthwhile) to do the following trip: 25 June Arrive NY; 28 June leave for Boston; 2 July leave for Montreal; 6 July leave for Toronto; 10 July leave for Washington DC - 15 July leave for Philadelphia; 17 July leave for New York; 20 July return to Australia? Interested in people's thoughts. Either by hire care or public transport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

Doable but be mindful that Toronto to DC is quite far. But maybe not by Australian standard. Will be a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

Can you take the hire car from one country to another, even if you're picking it up and dropping it off at the same spot?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

Yes, 'twould. But we thought it would only be a day of driving looking at the countryside. Thank you for your thoughts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

I don't think it is a problem to drive to Canada with a car hired in the US. I have done as others have without thinking that Canada is another country... If you try to go to Mexico, that's a different story though.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

Doublecheck with the car rental companies, but almost all will permit driving into Canada and there should be no additional charges for this. I wouldn't rent from a company that wanted to charge anything extra.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

It's quite a common practice to rent a vehicle in the U.S. and drive into Canada for a visit, or rent in Canada and visit the U.S......you'll just want to ensure you return the vehicle to the country of origin....

7. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:33 am, February 14, 2014
Edited: 10:33 am, February 14, 2014
8. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:33 am, February 14, 2014
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

When you leave Toronto, go south & enter the U S at Niagara Falls. I'd make a stop at Table Rock on the Canadian side so that you can literally lean against the railing & look straight down into the water as it falls over the edge.

My one concern is that this seems like an awful lot of driving and packing & unpacking for one trip.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip NY, Montreal, Toronto, DC, NY

"My one concern is that this seems like an awful lot of driving and packing & unpacking for one trip."

I had that concern too, but it's not so bad spread over 3 1/2 weeks, with at least three nights in most places (except Philly) and only one really long day on the road. These are also among the longest days of the year, so it shouldn't be necessary to do any night driving.

Also, if scenic drives are of interest I'd take the Thousand Islands Parkway on the Montreal-Toronto leg. It doesn't add much time to the trip and is a nice break from the monotonous 401.

The Loyalist Parkway (route 33) from Kingston to Trenton via Picton has some pretty stretches and plenty of good lunch spots in the Picton area, but this would add a good hour or two to the drive.

I agree with the Niagara Falls stop. Not my favourite place in the world, but the Falls are definitely worth a look.

Edited: 2:26 pm, February 13, 2014