We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

I will be bringing 6 girls and three adults to NYC in May and am clueless where to book a hotel. Help would be appreciated!

Ideally, we'd like a place that's about $200 a night for a 5 person room in the city. Doesn't have to be Times Square or another hotspot, we don't mind the subway. It certainly doesn't have to be fancy.

For reference, I did look at the YMCA hostels,but discounted that because I don't like the idea of two 12 year old girls alone in a room in a strange city.

Thanks for suggestions!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

Rooms for 5 are not easy to find in NYC and the fire laws are strict about "sneaking in" a 5th person

In order to get the help you need, please provide your exact travel dates. Hotel prices vary based on what is going on in town.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

Also your room budget is very unrealistic - have you done any research on hotels?

You may have to, at the least minimum, double or triple that $200. NYC hotels are not inexpensive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
729 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

You can try priceline. Or even Airbnb.com and see if you can get an apartment. May be a little bit cramped but it is a good option

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

First disregard totally the airbnb idea, its illegal in NYC and you totally do not want to be out on the streets w your party.

I would suggest looking for a decent hotel then calling and negotiating. NYWhiz, the hotel expert here can provide suggestions.

Looking at your budget, consider that its v cheap to eat in NYC, expensive to lodge. May up the price for the hotel and take a look at some decent options, like 1 suite + a coupla rooms? A place for you to be together w/out paying for 3 suites.... I would look at Beacon, oft recommended for good reasons, stay out of the riffraff of TSq, be someplace sane so you can group and go on your tour expeditions ... best wishes!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

've been looking at a lot of hotels in NYC and am mostly seeing prices around $400, but those seems to be clustered around Times Square, where we don't have to stay. Not being familiar with NYC I wasn't sure if hotels in Harlem or Brooklyn are convenient or safe?

Also have spotted some cheaper options, but it's hard to know from afar what is a bad idea. We don't have to stay in a hilton or other name chain. LOVE the idea of a suite, that is exactly what I'm wanting! Now where to find it....

I really don't know NYC, so all help is welcomed, want to make this a great trip for the girls! It's their first time to NYC.

Thanks so much!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

I chaperoned many groups of girls all through high school. So bigger groups, and a little older. But to them the nights in the room are some of the most fun parts of the trip - like a big pajama party. Hope you're not thinking of putting a parent in each room with some girls? Since there are 6, and 5 to a room is mostly illegal, I'd do 3 to a room. Have a curfew. Get adjoining rooms with the chaperones. Trust them. No one can leave the room, but don't put them with an adult!

Sorry I can't help with hotel/budget, but just wanted to impart my chaperoning experience.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

Hello fellow Girl Scout leader! I have traveled to NYC with our Girl Scout troop many times. They are all now in college so our annual trip isn't happening anymore but we have fond memories of those trips.

You have picked the most spectacular month to travel to NYC in my opinion. It is a generally gorgeous weather. Unfortunately, that means it is generally expensive. I have had good luck with reasonable rates at the Radio City Apartments and the Affinia chain of suite hotels although when I plugged in a request for these hotels for May 16 to May 19, all showed approximately $300.00 per night.

Hosteling International has a facility on the Upper West Side. They charge $55.00 per person per night so even that is more than $200.00 per night. At Hosteling International you could get a dorm room for all of you to share and would share the common bath.

I would suggest going across the river to New Jersey but any savings in hotel cost would likely be eaten up by parking fees in New York or Path or NJ Transit train fees into the city. I checked the Embassy Suites in Secaucus, NJ for the same dates and the cheapest room is $209.00 per night plus taxes. You would receive a free breakfast which helps the price but you would need to drive your car to the Secaucus NJ Transit station and park then pay for the train to the city or you would have to pay for the bus to the city or you would drive into the city and pay to park.

I am not very familiar with the hotels in Long Island City but if you are unfamiliar with the area, it may not work well for you.

If you could raise your budget a bit, you would likely have a many choices. I hope you have the chance to visit the city with your troop. It is such fun! If you get a chance, take a look at some of my trip reports with my troop. There are some amazing things to do with the girls that are meaningful, educational and FUN! Take care, Moms

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

Are you driving up here and if so how many cars? Parking needs to be factored in.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

priceline is not your best option for a party like yours ...

check out this hotel (and many similar in the same erea:)

Country Inn & suites, Queens. (close to a subway and you're in Manhattan within 10 mins)

oh, and I totally agree with the HI option in Upper WEst!

Edited: 2:36 pm, February 10, 2014
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girl Scouts need a good cheap hotel

Kwajkid, without your exact travel dates, it's very difficult for forum members to offer suggestions. As Forgotmypword stated, hotel prices fluctuate, even from one day to the next, so "May" is not specific enough.

If you have some flexibility about when you do this trip, coming in March or perhaps even early April may be significantly more affordable. Again, it's variable depending on exact dates.

You might contact Hosteling International NYC about a group rate: http://hinewyork.org/groups/

As for hotels in Long Island City, they are frequently recommended on the forum and you don't need to be familiar with the area.