We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK airport Help

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
JFK airport Help

First time leaving from JFK Flight is on Sunday at 3.00 Pm Driving up from Philly How much time from long term parking to terminals They want me there at noon Parking at JFK parking South Ozone Park NY Thanks

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK airport Help

Much easier to take the train. SEPTA into 30th Street Station. Amtrak into New York Penn Station. Long Island Rail Road Penn Station to JFK Airport via the seamless transfer in Jamaica using the JFK AirTrain right into your terminal.

Construction on the NJ Turnpike - weather - road conditions - tolls - finding parking - getting transport from parking to the JFK AirTrain and then the JFK AirTrain into the terminal. You'd practically need to leave now if you were driving. Take the train - it is faster safer and more reliable.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK airport Help

I am aware of Septa and no way

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK airport Help

Why no way?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK airport Help

Then take a taxi or get a ride to 30th Street Station Philadelphia and get Amtrak directly at 30th Street Station Philadelphia.

Driving the NJ Turnpike and trying to get clear across New York City (particularly with the huge pothole nightmare we're having) is going to be a big mistake. You're not talking about Newark Airport west of New York City - you're talking about JFK Airport where you have to get clear across New York City.

I'm sorry you're in this predicament.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK airport Help

If you need to drive at least into NJ, I'd suggest parking at Hamiton, NJ, (a garage space always available for about $8 per day, if I remember right). It's right off exit 65B of I-295 about 1 miles down, or take US 1 north of the PA TPk, exit at Whitehead Road East, left almost immediately onto Sweetbriar, then 1 mile later turn into the station.

Then you take the New Jersey Transit Train to Penn Station, New York, then the LIRR to Jamaica, then the Airtrain to JFK. The NJT train is $15 each way and LIRR+Airtrain is a single ticket of about $12.00. By doing this you avoid 80 miles of torturous driving which includes a multitude of tolls adding up to almost the same $60 round trip price.

If you do actually park at the JFK LongTerm lot, you take an Airtrain from there, and it takes about 15 minutes to your terminal.

But NJ Transit is quite reliable, in my experience, and using Hamilton Station gets you to avoid 100% of NYC area traffic.

P.S. I can understand why you don't want to take unreliable SEPTA to 30th St, and miss your Amtrak train which may be late also. At least NJ Transit is one train, reliable, and avoids the worst part of the trip.

Finally, if you don't like the LIRR for whatever reason, you can take an uptown E train to "Sutphin/Archer/JFK" station and get the same Airtrain.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK airport Help

To get to JFK from New Jersey, most people take the NJTP Exit 10, to the Outerbridge Crossing into Staten Island, NY, then 440 North, then 278 East over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, then the Belt Parkway East.

And, unfortunately, if you listen to WCBS-880 traffic reports this week (and it's easy to hear in Bryn Mawr, PA), they are talking about the "lovely" (typical NYC sarcasm) potholes adorning the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn in every report.

The Belt runs alongside the Atlantic Ocean so the salty damp air causes the potholes to sprout in great numbers.

To picture driving to JFK Airport in NYC, think of the Schuylkill between Girard and University but for 25 miles instead of 4 miles.

Edited: 12:02 pm, February 07, 2014
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK airport Help

Why no way Septa , Because I am just not going to lug my baggage ,I take septa into town all the time , I will take my chances driving I have been on the NJ Turnpike many times Sunday morning Traffic is that bad this time of the year???, And The Schuylkill can be heaven or Hell I will leave very early and allow plenty of time. We are talking about a 110 miles from my House Pa turnpike to NJ pike , Coming back I could care less as I get in at midnight, Do not look at as a predicament as I am saving Time and money leaving from there only one stop Vs three from Philly Parking lot has shuttle and is cheap enough Amtrak to NYC is outrageous, When I go by train I drive to Princeton and take the train in. Will report back

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK airport Help

I would allow 45 minutes to get to your terminal (via monorail) at JFK from long term parking, which is plenty of time if there are any problems.Better to be safe, than sorry! If all goes well you could be in the terminal in 20 minutes!

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/jfk-airtrain-map.pdf

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK airport Help

Using Lot at Parking Plus They have shuttle to terminals and reviews look very good I do this at PHL all the time.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK airport Help

Amtrak to NYC will cost less than tolls and parking at JFK, but if you want to drive, Godspeed. Yes, traffic is frequently terrible this time of year: way worse than the Schuykill.