We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Maine

USA
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Maine

We need to drive from Jersey City to Maine. What is the best way to get out of the city on a Sunday afternoon in early June? The google map shows taking I95 through Bronx. Is this a good idea?

Thanks so much.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Maine

Crossing into Manhattan from Jersey City using any of the three crossings (Holland / Lincoln Tunnel & GW Bridge) is very expensive. Crossing through The Bronx is very congested.

You may want to consider driving north and taking the Palisades to the Tappan Zee - I-287 will take you to I-95 and you can follow I-95 north into Maine. You may also prefer to take the Hutchinson / Merritt to I-91 to I-90 East to I-495 and avoid the Boston traffic.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Maine

We do tappan zee going to Boston.

Where in Maine are you headed?

If you're driving on Sunday, there will be less Boston traffic.

USA
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Maine

I am planning to overnight in Ogunquit, Maine for lobster :-) Thanks!

Is there a good place to stop in between?

USA
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Maine

Is this the best way? Thanks!

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Jersey+City,+NJ&daddr=Tappan+Zee+Bridge,+Grand+View-on-Hudson,+NY+to:Hartford,+CT&hl=en&geocode=FV12bQIdNqqV-yndr78l0lDCiTHZJc2iE_BJAg%3B%3BFX9DfQId2-mq-ymlURHyEVPmiTGZWX3pqEqOzA&aq=0&oq=Tappan+Zee&vps=38&sll=41.244136,-73.385148&sspn=1.214306,2.49939&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&ie=UTF8

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to Maine

Several years ago I did a similar trip with my then-husband -- except we were headed for mid-coast Maine (Bar Harbor) with an overnight stop in central Vermont to visit family. My husband wanted a scenic route, so we headed north in New York on the Taconic State Parkway, then cut over to the Berkshires, in Massachusetts, then north straight up to Vermont. The next day we headed east to White River Junction, NH then north again up through central NH and Maine to Orono, where we spent another night before heading out to the Maine coast the next day.

You will run into a lot of traffic on I95 -- especially around cities like Bridgeport, New Haven, Providence, Boston, etc. By seeking out an inland route like we took you might avoid some of that traffic and see some nice scenery. If you are interested in an overnight stop, you might consider the Berkshires, in western MA. From the Berkshires you could head east on the Mass. Turnpike to BOston, then head north to Ogunquit from there. Alternatively, you could head north from the Berkshires, and head east from some point further north.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to Maine

From Jersey City a good route is often I-87 ( toll ) to I-84 to the Mass Pike ( toll ) in Sturbridge, and then to Kittery area, avoiding Boston entirely.

7. Re: driving to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 09, 2015