We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

Cooroy, Australia
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

I have been reading a lot about taxi v train v private transfer.

We are 2 adults 2 children (8,6 ) and will have 4 suitcases,plus our carry on.

I was just thinking taxi but my hubby raised a good point, how will all our bags fit, I don't think they won't so looking at shuttle to and from Newark to Hotel in Midtown.

What do others families do ?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

Don't get a shuttle, they are highly discouraged. There are many posts on this and why its a good idea not to use them.

You can get the equivalent of an Australian maxi taxi.

Cooroy, Australia
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

Ok thanks will have a look. Wasn't sure if they have the maxi taxi :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

We have used DIAL 7 , a town car service from JFK into Manhattan with my family of 4 , a few times now , it is very easy and the same price as a cab ( approx. $70 with tolls and tip ) , no need to pre book , just call them from the Ground Transportation Desk in the arrivals hall once you have collected your luggage . For arrival at JFK you just have to dial #34 on the courtesy phones , tell them where you are going , how many people and luggage and they will give to an exact meeting place at front of the terminal and a car number , we have only ever had a 10 min wait , another time they were there before we even got out off the terminal . The cars are large and easily able to take 4 people and all the luggage. For return to the airport we usually ask the concierge to organize a car for us.

Edited: 4:28 am, February 06, 2014
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

all state and carmel are other car services

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,288 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

Post # 3 is talking about arrival at JFK, you are arriving at Newark. It is not the same. The top question will give answers, as will others as NYC wakes up. ( EWR=Manhattan, I don't know enough to respond)

Sweden
Level Contributor
177 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

You can go with Newark airport express (…reachlocal.net/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp), but it's $16 each so I'd rather go with a carservice instead. Get a price quote from the companies that have been mentioned already. We used Dial 7 last time and thought it was ok

Cooroy, Australia
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

I guess I was more concerned with the amount of luggage we may have and it fitting in a taxi? ( which is my preferred option )

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,605 posts
2,169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

Get a cab. You will be directed to the taxi queue as you leave the airport and the luggage will fit. I have taken cabs around the world (including Newark airport) with luggage for a family of 4 plus stroller!

Edited: 4:30 pm, February 06, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

Hey sandan77:-) If you were arriving at JFK, chances are you'd be OK in a regular cab.. those trunks can hold a bit.. but if not, the dispatcher would just direct you to a minivan cab.. but since you're arriving at EWR which is in NJ, note that cab fares there are tiered.. you'll get a flat rate before heading off (make sure you get it if you opt for a NJ Cab).. to which you'd add tip and tolls! Usually it can run pricier than a car service since they return empty.. a car service will also offer a flat rate to which you add tip + toll! Courtesy phones are available for the top/popular ones so you can call on the spot if you don't make a res and hopefully they'll have cars available depending on when you arrive.. you can book ahead via www.dial7.com/ www.carmellimo.com/ and opt for 'cash' so no up-front payment.. you'd need to call them when you land and go through formalities/retrieve luggage.. usually takes them about 5-10 min to get to you at designated area;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family's of 4 with luggage How do YOU get from the airport

My SIL & her family, 2 + 2, with a rather large amount of luggage landed in Newark and stayed at the Beacon Hotel. On my recommendation (as I have used them more than once myself) she prebooked dial 7 and opted for cash payment.

I am still reaping the rewards of those two suggestions.... (dial 7 & Beacon).