We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions required please

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions required please

We're a couple who have booked flights to NYC for a 5 night stay at the end of September, and we're looking for hotel recommendations please.

We have visited before, and our previous stays were at the Flatotel on West 52nd Street (several years ago now), and at the Affinia Shelburne.

We don't want to stay in the heart of Times Square - it's far too busy for me, but don't mind the general Midtown location, either a bit further up towards Central Park or further east or west. Would just prefer to be quite close to a subway to save our aching feet at the end of a long day exploring!

Budget is around $450 per night. Is that reasonable for that time of year? Previous trips were in April and early August, so it seemed that there were deals to be had at those times of the year.

Ideally, I would like some kind of sofa in the room, as I don't want the bed to be the only place to relax. A fridge would be an added bonus too.

Has anyone got any recommendations that spring to mind?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Please give exact dates as rates differ by day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Hey jocat94:-) You may want to take a look at www.excelsiorhotelny.com/ Smack across the street from The Natural History Museum and Central Park.. great UWS locale with transport to include subway and buses practically at your doorstep;-) You can also check out The Beacon which is more furnished-type studios/apartments.. you'll certainly get more than a fridge here;) Again, wonderful area.. again, steps to transport.. close to both Central and Riverside Parks.. even walkable to Midtown;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Our dates of stay would be from 26th September until 1st October.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
709 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

We love the Affinias - I would recommend the Affinia 50 (E. 50th Street @ Lex) or the Affiinia Dumont (E. 34th between Lex and 3rd). Both "midtown-east" I guess you would call the area. Both near subways, tons of restaurants. We like the 1BR suites which have separate living room and small kitchen. Another recommendation is the Blakely - different neighborhood - W. 55th between 7th and Avenue of the Americas - just blocks from Central Park. Also has suites with separate living room and a small kitchenette. Rates vary by time of year; we've paid between $250 and $350 per night at the three hotels I mentioned.

Edited: 12:07 pm, January 31, 2014
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,728 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Though September is a pricey time, you have a good budget and should have a variety of choices.

+1 for the Excelsior. You can get one of their room types with the separate sitting area with sofa. Though rooms don't automatically come with a fridge, they are available on request (I forget whether there was an additional cost). Double check that they still offer this service as it has been a number of years since I have stayed there.

It will be early to see realistic pricing for some hotels in September. You may want to book something that can be canceled without a fee.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Have just had a look at the Excelsior, but unfortunately it's a bit over budget for our dates, as they only seem to have the bigger rooms available.

Will check out the other recommendation though.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Look at Quikbook.com. The Strand, Algonquin and the Maritime look good and are in your ball park but you might find something else you like there.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Thanks. Will give Quikbook a try.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

Near Central Park and the American Museum of Natural History is the Lucerne.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d99281-R…

http://www.thelucernehotel.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestions required please

AKA Central Park, the Salisbury, the Blakely are 3 places at the northern end of midtown....we stay at the first and other regular posters stay at the other two.

It's a great area for access to so much and many subway lines and public buses.