We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

I'm after a romantic & elegant restaurant in NYC to enjoy a pre-theater dinner at on my honeymoon....We're looking to dress up and head out to enjoy a Steak/Asian/Greek/Spanish meal. No where that could be considered pretentious please! We fancy making this our one 'posh' meal whilst in NYC but not looking to spend much over $100 on a couple of glasses of wine and a main course each. We are staying at The New York Palace (445 Madison Ave) if there are better options near to where we're staying rather than the theater district? All thoughts welcome!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Lotte New York Palace
Lotte New York Palace
3,953 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Per Se
$$$$, French, American
Gabriel Kreuther
$$$$, French, European
Spice Symphony
$$ - $$$, Indian, Asian
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

Basso56 (Italian) is one possibility if you just have a main course each. $100 unfortunately doesn't take you very far when tax, tip and drinks are added. There are quite a few nice restaurants that do pre theater 3 course dinners, but they tend to be at least $40/person. When the extras are added you're closer to $150-160.

Capital Grille in the Time Life building does a very nice pre theater dinner that includes steak options for $39/person. But with extras added, you'll be over budget. Saju Bistro has a less expenisve pre theater (I think $30-35/each) but not quite as nice or romantic. Estatorio Milos and Kellari Taverna are 2 Greek places with a pre theater...again likely a bit over budget but maybe ordering a la carte with just one course would work. Just had a look and Kellari has a 2 course option for $32 that might work well. It's right in the theater district.

Meson Sevilla in the theater district is Spanish (and Italian). It's not as fancy as the others, but probably closer to being on budget for what you want.

Just keep in mind a glass of wine is $10 or more. If you both want 2 glasses, usually ordering a bottle for $30-35 (assuming they have one at that price) will be cheaper. We usually tell people to save a special meal for a night when you're not going to the theater so you can relax over the meal, but you'll get better value for money with these pre theater dinners.

Mentioned in this post
Basso56
Basso56
2,040 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Capital Grille
The Capital Grille
1,181 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Time New York
The Time New York
675 Reviews
New York City, NY
Saju Bistro
Saju Bistro
1,206 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna
787 Reviews
New York City, NY
Meson Sevilla
Meson Sevilla
291 Reviews
New York City, NY
Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

I'm going to jump in on this thread as I'm looking for much the same thing for our trip as I'd like a reasonably priced romantic place to take my partner for his 60th birthday dinner. For us it doesn't need to be pre-theatre though as we are taking NYWHIZ's advice on that point. I did find a place (pun intended!) that looks romantic and is reasonably priced in the Village that you might want to check out. It's called The Place and I'm hoping that the resident New Yorkers will weigh in on that choice. It does have good reviews on TA but if anyone has first hand knowledge that would be great.

http://theplaceny.com/

Edited: 6:06 am, January 30, 2014
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

I'll check that out.....After much research I have narrowed my pre-theatre choices down to Club A Steakhouse #1/Capital Grille – Time Life Building #107/ BG - Bergdorf Goodman 5th Ave #142/ Avra Estiatorio #199/ Hakkasan #762/ Kellari Taverna #1857/ Basso56 #18 - Are there any on here that anyone would strongly recommend or strongly suggest that I avoid? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Club A Steakhouse
Club A Steakhouse
2,918 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Capital Grille
The Capital Grille
1,181 Reviews
New York City, NY
BG - Bergdorf Goodman
BG - Bergdorf Goodman
420 Reviews
New York City, NY
Avra Estiatorio
Avra Estiatorio
925 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hakkasan
Hakkasan
881 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna
787 Reviews
New York City, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

I went to Hakkasan with friends this last November. The place is knockdown drag out gorgeous but we had several problems with service including that they didn't give a pre-theater menu until we asked for it & only then discovered that we had ordered drinks but those drinks were not included on the pre-theater menu (there are several that are) & not getting one of our "small plates" until our "large plates" came & they didn't mention that they had brought the one late & had substituted what we ordered for something else. The food was tasty but the techno beat music gave me a headache.

Mentioned in this post
Hakkasan
Hakkasan
881 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

We love Bergdorf Goodman's restaurant...lovely room, good service and great view up 5th Avenue and the SE corner of Central Park.....ask for a table with the shell shaped chairs by the window....

....we've had lunch and afternoon tea there, but not dinner....in fact, we go there for afternoon tea before the theatre or a concert and miss dinner ..we have their 'high tea' starting at about 3.30-4pm...so that we aren't sitting feeling overfull and weary...but it won't fit your budget as posted...maybe you've upped it since your OP.

Where ever you choose, have a lovely evening.

Edited: 2:30 pm, January 30, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,323 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

To VictoriaHoops, Club A Steakhouse is NOWHERE near the theater district and I do not recommend having to travel that far to get to the theater. You will miss the curtain and/or not be able to enjoy the meal. Bergdorf Goodman is also not close enough for my liking to the theaters and it's often impossible to even find a taxi at that hour AND because of the pedestrian only areas around Times Square, it may be impossible for a taxi to get close enough to your theater if you find one. I think you now have to put your options on a map near the theater you're attending and decide that way. Some of those are closer to some theaters than others.

To bren, the Place has been mentioned on a number of occasions on the forum as a good place for a more affordable romantic dinner. Good, Home and Hearth are some others usually mentioned in that genre. I'll add Little Prince in Soho.

Mentioned in this post
Club A Steakhouse
Club A Steakhouse
2,918 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bergdorf Goodman
Bergdorf Goodman
259 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,100 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,674 Reviews
New York City, NY
Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

Thanks nywhiz.....I think I'm going to go put the Place down as a definite for the birthday boy's dinner.....on to after dinner plans lol!

8. Re: Romantic Pre-Theatre Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 04, 2015