We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Hi

Hoping for advices please! Looking to book a trip to NY but need to arrange dialysis, can anyone advise central clinics available to tourists, and nearby hotels?

Thanks, much appreciated

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

All major hospital have dialysis centers. Where will you be staying ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Rogosin Institute has a very good reputation.

https://rogosin.org/index.php

More info on it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rogosin_Institute

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

How are you funding the diaylysis?

As the OP has asked for hotels nearby I am assuming that accommodation has not yet been arranged

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Make sure you have a good medical travel insurance that includes the facility/Hospital that you are interested in.

Just curious will NHS pay for it, while you are abroad outside of Europe ? I know as a tourist, i am not entitled to free treatment in UK (or other parts of Europe) and i have to either buy Insurance or pay for it in full .Mainly so, because Dialysis is a specialized treatment, and many Travel Insurance may/may not cover it.

Also, since you are coming from abroad, you may want to carry your medical records (paper) as your electronic health record from UK ( NHS) may not be compatible with US systems. Usually when you see a Doctor for the first time here , they would like toknow about your medical history before start of any treatment

Wish you all the best.

Edited: 3:56 am, January 29, 2014
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Hi thanks for replies, I never book accomodation until dialysis units sourced when travelling, sadly the NHS does not cover any costs, nor does any insurance comany, so as per usual if we dare to choose to travel outside of EU we fund dialysis ourselves which makes me cross!!

So really looking for the most central New York hospital/unit for tourists and any recommended hotels nearby!

Thankd

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

whats your hotel budget?

Have you looked at the one suggested above?

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Wow Lottie, that must be so expensive for you, what a shame they don't have some kind of agreement between the US and UK. There must be a lot of Americans in the same situation when they head to Europe.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

All in planning stages for now, will check out the hotel thanks, yes always proves expensive to travel worldwide, but dont see why dialysis should stop us, just wish the NHS would see that we are saving costs when not here! Think some units transfer funding but not ours!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Americans pay for their own dialysis, so no, not the same situation at all.

Lottie, I believe many people here use dialysis centers, which are not always attached to hospitals. I don't know details, but I'll ask around.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday DIALYSIS in New York

Many thanks much appreciated Brooklyn.