We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Regis club at Essex House - Question on Butler service

Hampshire, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
St Regis club at Essex House - Question on Butler service

Hello

My Husband & I have booked to stay in St Regis (Essex House) during 1st week in Dec (Xmas shopping trip & general siteseeing) We have never visited New York before and decide to treat ourselves to the St Regis level as it sounded really special - I mean they even have a butler on each floor!

However in regard to the butler I have a question - I just wondered what is the correct etiquette in regard to tipping the butler?

I assumed it may be more 'correct' to tip him at the end of our stay rather than tipping him whenever he provides a service (as I would with any other hotel employee such as bell boy, doorman etc) -

Have any of you stayed there before and if so what are your thoughts on tipping the butler?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Sarah

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Regis club at Essex House - Question on Butler service

Sarah, I would love to know how you liked your trip and what you did about tipping. My husband and I will be staying there next month.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Regis club at Essex House - Question on Butler service

It is perfectly proper to tip at the end of your stay. On the other hand, I usually tip as staff provide service. It seems to encourage them during my stay plus I want to make sure the person providing the service gets the money.