We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

I am thinking of a trip to New York and Boston for the last 2 weeks of August 2014 for 2 adults and 2 sons (17 and 15). OH and I have been to Boston before (19 years ago) but not to NY. My thoughts so far are to have 5 days in NY and 9 in Boston (not sure which way round), taking the Amtrak between the 2 as we get a discount and like train travel.

Looking at flights and hotels the prices are quite scary! We would definitely prefer to have separate rooms but this seems a lot more expensive than all in one room but the boys would definitely not want to share a bed for 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions please for hotels/apartments which might be suitable and any tips for flights? Also, any advantages to going to 1 city first or does it not matter? I am posting this in both the NY and Boston forums, hope that's OK?

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Boston
Boston
New York
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

Claire: This is a thread that also involves visitors from the UK now planning to see Boston and New York (with some beach) during a 2-week period. Perhaps it can be helpful. tripadvisor.com/…55185066

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
New York
New York
United States
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

If you post more specifics on your needs you will get better help from the hotel experts here

Dates

Arrival/Departure airport(s)

Desired number of beds (3?) and bathrooms (1/2?)

Budget in U$ - both desired and maximum.

Most vacation apartment rentals are illegal in NYC, however - depending on budget - there are apartment style hotels that may suit. (And do you want/need kitchen facilities? Will two connected rooms suit?)

Not sure order of city visits matter, and recommend you look into flights that let you arrive in one and depart from the other.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

Obviously I live in NY, but Ive been to Boston quite a few times. IMO Id spend more time in NY than Boston, there is much more to do in NY than Boston. Id say 3 days you can see Boston, Make sure you catch a Game at Fenway as IMO that the best thing to do in Boston. The other main site is the Freedom Trail. Id allow a day for that.

Boston really isnt that big of a city, Its about a tenth of the size of NY

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

Thanks to you all for such quick and varied replies. To answer some questions:

Dates: Any 2 weeks between 12th August and back by 1st September. Doesn't have to be exactly 2 weeks but I needed to start somewhere.

Flights: From London to either New York (any airport) and back from Boston or vice versa.

Bedrooms: Preferably 2 (they are OK to share a room but not a bed!)

Bathrooms: OK with 1 but 2 would be good

Budget: Ideally less than $12,000 for flights and hotel (or am I dreaming?)

Apartment would be great but I have only discovered today on here that short-term lets are illegal in the U.S. which I found surprising. An apartment hotel would be good, maybe allowing for a little cooking.

The Boston/New York time split was fairly arbritary but, having fairly manic lives at home, I think that New York may be a little busy for a longer visit. Having been to Boston before, I know what there is to do and thought of hiring a car for a couple of days too to get out on to the coast. But, like I say, all adjustable especially following advice on here!

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Boston
Boston
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

They are not illegal in the US. They are illegal in certain locations...NYC being one...

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

Short term vacation rentals are legal in Boston.

For the best help, it's important for you to separate out your hotel budget. Though your airline may offer "package deals", they won't always be better than hotels or other lodging you could find on your own.

By rough calculations, if you can each get airfare for ~$850, that leaves you a hotel budget of over $600/night. Yes, that is more than sufficient for August. Double check your numbers, and if that's truly what you want to spend, you'll have some good choices.

For NYC, look at the various apartment style properties on Affinia.com Some have 2 br 2 bath. Also look at the Beacon Hotel (upper west side). They have some 2 br suites, but I believe you have to contact them for pricing.

Radiocityapts.com is another option, a bit lower in cost but not as updated as the others.

NYC is A LOT bigger than Boston, with a lot more to do. Spend most of your time there, with maybe 4 nights in Boston, or more if you want to explore other New England areas.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

1. You mention Boston, NYC , the Coast and a car. Referring to the link in Post 1: would 4 days Boston, 4 days Martha's Vineyard (2 1/2 hour drive to ferry), and 6 days NYC--perhaps a day or two more as you balance-- meet your needs?

[FYI: This is a view of one of the Martha's Vineyard communities.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Martha%27s+Vineyard+Edgartown+photos&client=firefox-a&hs=iBo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7jTUUqPOF5HlsASqnIK4DA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=796

2. It would be helpful if you could also estimate preliminarily the ground and air portions of the trip, whether you wish to include the coast and where, and the number of days in each place when you decide.

A. In setting the number of days, you might consider the FAQs at the right of the page, in particular for planning NYC attractions at

at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

and Boston attractions at

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k346181…

The key is to customize the trip to the tastes of you and the family, and prioritize (not to try to do too much)

If you wish: if you have any particular likes and dislikes, or kinds of attractions and experiences you want, and when you have your rough itinerary and other plans, please let us know. .

It sounds like a lovely trip.

Edited: 2:24 pm, January 13, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

Thanks for the further help. I've had a look at rentals in Boston and it looks possible. So that leaves the New York end. Given that I have no knowledge of New York at all I'm finding a bit daunting. I have tried reading the advice to the right on here but am still finding it difficult to work out the best place to stay. Or is it best to choose a good hotel and then check that the area is good for all the places we might want to visit?

Should I be looking at any particular 1 of the 3 airports given that I seem to seeing flights from London to all of them?

Hadn't thought of doing part New York, part Boston, part somewhere else but now that you've mentioned it, it might be a good idea.

So much to think about!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
New York
New York
United States
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

There are lots of great areas to stay in NYC. There won't be a clear "winner" for best, so just start identifying some good candidates.

I mentioned a few apartment style properties in my previous post. If that's the style you would appreciate with your teens, then that's a good start. Perhaps also start a new thread with other ideas for apartment style. There are relatively few properties to choose from, so it's not so hugely overwhelming.

Do you think you might prefer getting two adjoining regular rooms?

For airports, if you are flying from London, your two choices will be EWR and JFK. Assuming your budget is indeed as high as you originally stated, you'll likely be staying in Manhattan vs less expensive locations outside of Manhattan, so either airport works. Pick the one with the best fares and most convenient schedule. Also consider doing an open jaw ticket (fly into NYC, out of BOS)

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip to Boston and New York in August 2014

Thanks again for the reply. I have been to a travel agent today and the prices are way more expensive than I can do myself so that will have to be the way to go. Given that we are looking for open-jaw flights, I'm finding it difficult to find hotel/flight packages. Looks like we have found a good rental in Boston at a very reasonable price so we have more wriggle room in NY. It looks as though my original budget was quite generous so I am aiming a little lower without gong too budget-conscious.

It's a good idea about a separate post re apartment-style properties, I'll do that. I have costed up separate rooms and it's certainly doable but I would need to make sure they are adjoining.

I'm beginning to think this is actually going to happen!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York