We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Affinia Dumont

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Affinia Dumont

Hiya,

I'm sorry I know that you are all probably sick to death of these questions! Airport to hotel directions!

We are coming to New York for 5 nights (2 adults), flying into JFK, and staying at Affinia Dumont at 150 E. 34th Street.

I've been looking at the different ways to get to the hotel from the airport - and obviously back again!

We arrive into JFK at 8.20pm on Wednesday Feb 12th, flight home is the following Monday evening (Feb 17th) at 5.40pm.

We were looking to keep the costs down, so have ruled out a taxi, or a car service.

Two choices left I guess:

The NYC Airporter - which is $29 each return. This would drop us at Grand Central, and then a quick look at Google maps seems to indicative that we could walk from Grand Central to our hotel, approx half a mile. If we do decide to grab a taxi instead of walking then it shouldn't cost too much?

Or the AirTrain - which is just $7.50 each, each way, so $15.00 return each. This is obviously much cheaper, and more inkeeping with our trip on a budget, especially as it's been a last minute trip - only booked yesterday and coming from Europe.

If I have the details correct then getting the AirTrain involves taking the AirTrain to Jamacia station, then changing to the E subway to Lexington/53rd St, then walking to 51st Street and taking the 6 subway to 33rd St, and then walking to our hotel.

It also seems to much quicker - at around an hour or so.

They both have pros and cons:

The coach seems much more hassle free as we'd just get on at the airport and then get off at Grand Central, then either walk or taxi, but it's twice the cost of the AirTrain option and seems to be slower too, it takes 90 minutes according to their website.

The other option of AirTrain is much cheaper, but involves 2 changes, which wouldn't normally be a problem but it will be late by this point - 10.30/11pm or maybe later, and we'll have been up for around 17 hours at this point (as working the morning of our flights).

Considering the late hour that we'll be travelling, how long we'll have been up, the changes required for the AirTrain option etc. Maybe the coach is the best option this time, even though it's more expensive.

Any feedback on this would be great, do I have the details of our journey correct, is there a better easier way (yes taxi I know!! but as I said I've ruled it out initially due to cost reasons)

Many Thanks

europe chick

Edited: 6:14 am, January 08, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

Walking half a mile at that time of night in February is going to feel much worse than the changes you make on the Subway. It will be horrible.

However, if you go with the shuttle option there is no need to walk from Grand Central to your hotel. Get the same 6 train you would with the other route.

If the shuttle took you to your hotel door the benefits (not necessarily deal-making, though) would be obvious. But it doesn't. So they aren't.

I'd get the Subway. It's cheaper. Quicker. And not at all complicated.

Alternatively, look into a shuttle service that takes you to your door.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

Thanks LDN_2009

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

Take the train. I used to recommend the Airporter but no longer do after I had a few disappointing experiences with it. It is just not reliable.

You may prefer to go to Penn Station (no changes required) and cab across town. Or hop on the 34th St crosstown bus.

Definitely avoid the shared shuttle services. They take forever.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

You are very welcome. Best of luck.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

Thanks also to kateoz

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

We stayed at the same hotel, Affinia Dumont in July. My son came after us and he took the train to Penn Station then got a taxi, which was a lot cheaper than a taxi all the way. There is a nice place next door (Barking Dog) for breakfast and we enjoyed our dinner there one night too.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

Keep an open mind about whether you might decide to take a taxi. After a LONG flight, and a potentially long wait to get through immigration, if you are exhausted and/or the weather is brutally cold, a taxi may seem well worth the $70.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

Thanks for the further replies, it's JFK to St Giles - The Court now though.

The bargain rate I had found for the Affinia Dumont vanished, and the price more than doubled in the space of a few hours! So I've spent the last few hours finding, and booking, a different hotel, and I've now booked St Giles - The Court.

It looks to be just a couple of blocks from Grand Central.

9. Re: JFK to Affinia Dumont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, January 10, 2015