We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

Mannheim, Germany
2 posts
Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

Hello :)

I will be visiting the USA in April 2014 and want drive from Ohio to New York City to stay there for a couple of days.

My plan is to park somewhere outside the city centre (preferably for free and in a safe area) and leave the car there for 4-5 days. Any ideas where I could do that? The trip (by train/bus/subway) into the city centre shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

Your answers will be highly appreciated :)

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,488 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

For free? No. You can park for$10-15/day at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ.

Nywaterway.com

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

The Dover NJ train station (NJ Transit) may be a good option for you.

www.njtransit.com

The ferry nywhiz recommends is also a great idea.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,271 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

Are you aware that there are two hotels in NYC with free or reasonable parking located on the west side (ie, easy to get to if you're coming from Ohio or any points east of NYC)

Travel Inn http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/ -- free parking

Skyline http://www.skylinehotelny.com/ - very reasonable parking for guests

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

The Dover train station may be just fine and dandy, but NO overnight parking at any of the lots from the information on the NJ Transit website.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
215 reviews
5. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

Daniela, while NY City has pretty good public transportation, the US doesn't really have the commitment to reducing auto usage that many Euro countries do. Aside from our love affair with the automobile, we have a distrust of government initiatives and the costs that go with them: For example, many towns discriminate against parkers who live elsewhere. And many transit companies discourage overnight parking. Your idea is good, but not as easy as in Europe. You might try the search box for the forum (right above your OP) to look at some of the past discussions of this topic.

Delaware
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

Hamilton Station, New Jersey Transit station has a safe multi-level parking garage, but cost is about $20 a day.

7. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:58 pm, January 07, 2014
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

According to the information I found for the Hamilton train station, AnnDelaware has the price wrong. I believe it is $10/day. Regardless of cost, however, I think it would make more sense to park at the Metropark station. It's closer to NYC, so the train ride will be shorter and cheaper. Also, the parking cost is a bit lower: $9/day.

The ideas offered by nywhiz and LivesInNewJersey might be better for you, depending on the route you are traveling and when you are arriving. One issue with parking at the train stations in NJ (this might apply to the ferry terminal as well) is that there might not be any spaces available when you arrive, especially if you arrive on a weekday during normal business hours.

Edited: 1:14 am, January 08, 2014
Delaware
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

Thanks for the correction, Jensdad. The reason I like Hamilton over Metropark is that there is always an empty space, even on a weekday morning at 10:00 AM.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,271 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Parking NEAR New York City cheap and safe.

I have always heard that there is parking at Hamilton and confirmed it once by calling - they do answer the phone and it wouldn't hurt for the OP to reconfi with them