We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway travel with large groups

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Subway travel with large groups

Hello,

As I said in my previous post I am going to be visiting NYC at the end of June with 40 High School pupils. They range from 14 years old to 18. I probably will have more questions but I wondered if you would be able to advise on what best to do about the subway and metrocards.

We are going to be in NYC for 4 nights before going to Washington D.C

We are planning on using the subway to get about. My thoughts are that we will we will split the children into groups of 10 to navigate our way around the city/subway and meet up at pre-determined points to gain entry to the tourist attraction. We plan to be on the subway no more than 10 times.

Therefore, which metrocards would be the best for us? The teachers will be paying for all the pupils to get about so what metro card would be the most suitable to use?

Hopefully, this makes sense.

Thanks,

Richard

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway travel with large groups

Wow....I teach 6th grade (12 & 13 year olds) and you are very brave and energetic! I also could never afford metrocards for all those kids! Best of luck to you!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway travel with large groups

I maybe should clarify that we are not actually paying for them all to use the subway. They have payed to go on the school trip and part of the cost is for subway travel. We will just have the money to pay for it with us.

After being there last week, it sort of dawned on me how big a task it is going to be> However, It is going to be amazing and we have a very good group of kids going with us.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway travel with large groups

You will need multiple "pay per ride" Metrocards as the unlimited can't be used by multiple people at the same time. The pay per ride card can be used by 4 people at 1 time.

Purchase multiple cards and add the $ value you need based on what your plans are for the trip.

I think that you are underestimating how many times that you will use the subway during your stay.

The unlimited 7 day Metrocard is an option for everyone....but a very expensive one for 40+ people.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway travel with large groups

Most US school groups use a tour company that uses buses to cart the kids around. Yikes I would not want your responsibility.

My suggestion would be to have lots of chaperones, divide up into groups, each kid has to stay with their group, always. It's a lot easier for an adult to herd 5-6 kids rather than 40.

And if you do get separated on the subway, just have the plan to all meet on the platform when you get to your destination stop.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway travel with large groups

I posted that ^^ before seeing your reply.

What was the individual budget for subway travel?

You could get each person a 7 day unlimited Metrocard and not have to ever worry about adding more money if needed. $31/each is a great bargain.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway travel with large groups

There have been some great trip reports from groups over the years. Have a read through some of these threads:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k807147-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3421302…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3630107…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3760550…

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway travel with large groups

I'd recommend smaller groups for safety, better span of control. Subway stations can be very crowded If a kid gets separated from the group, many areas have no cell phone coverage. You don't want anyone getting lost. Hope they all get briefed on not leaning into the pit (even if rats are putting on a show), not getting separated, etc.

Whatever you do for cards, think through the process of getting kids through the gates, keeping in mind life will go on around you and commuters will likely want to cut through to get where they're going. You want to be sure the kids who go through first are supervised without creating an obstacle for people trying to get through. I'd put adults on either side of the pay gates.

Your first foray into the subway shouldn't be at rush hour.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway travel with large groups

And this is the most recent one I was thinking of. They chartered a bus with a step on guide, but I think the planning advice and report will be of some use to you.

Planning:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6288042…

Trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6492489…

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway travel with large groups

Five to six kids per adult sounds better.

Edited: 12:43 pm, January 03, 2014
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway travel with large groups

ztaks may be able to offer some assistance