We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency cards aka cash passports.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
currency cards aka cash passports.

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has used the cash currency cards in new york at all?

I am travelling in a few months and not really wanting to carry loads of cash around with me. I don't have a credit card either so Thomas cook (travel agency) recommended I use one of the cash passports things. I have looked around and found that sainsbury's card has no fee's for withdrawing cash or making purchases.

I can also top it up online with more cash if and when I need it. So thinking that sounds good or at least better than my bank who charge me 2.5% to use atm.

I have asked asked friends but no one I know has used them so was hoping someone on here would be able to shed some light on whether these are good/easy to use and if anyone would recommend the cards or not.

I guess my worry is I'll be hunting around for ATM machines to get some cash.

Anyway I would really appreciate and advise etc Thanks loads,

Maria x

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Yes they are used in NYC.

No you won't be hunting around for ATM's. They are 53 ATM machines on every block.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6208631…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

I highly recommend you get a credit card prior to travel. You don't actually have to use it while you're here, you can still pay with a currency card or traveler's checks or cash but...

Hotels will require a 'hold' out of any ATM/debit card or a cash deposit, if you can't provide a credit card at check in. And what will you do in case of emergencies or delays? For instance, what if you were stuck in NYC for an extra 5 days because of a hurricane, or ash clouds from an Icelandic volcano? Credit cards are extremely useful for those things you can't predict.

london, england
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Hi Maria,

I travelled to New York January 2013 and used Thomas Cook's cash passport. I had no problems using it for shopping etc. It was also easy to top up online. I would also recommend that you take some cash to pay for those little purchases (food and so on). My experience with the card was so hassle free, that I am travelling to New York again in a couple of months, that I will be using a cash passport again. Have a great trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

caxton and fair fx are the better ones

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Aw thanks guys.

That's great to know Kazzer and really reassuring. Was you able to get a balance on screen at the atm? I thought it did sound like a great idea and like you say will take cash too :)

It's good to know their are so many atm machines.

I would have a credit card but sadly I can't have one and for many reasons don't want one as know I will get myself in trouble as I am rubbish when it comes to shopping haha

I am praying to god I won't get into any trouble but also know these things are ever planned but I have a really great top end insurance if anything should happen and have saved like hell to make sure I have enough money if anything should happen.

Thank you for your advice though, its really appreciated.

Thanks loads again.

Maria x

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Just took delivery of CaxtonFX one. Went for this as it had the benefits of the Sainsburys one but seemed to have slightly better rates day to day.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Hi Tom,

what do you mean by rates? sorry I'm being thick haha and how did you apply for the CaxtonFX?

Thanks

x

london, england
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Hi Maria,

I didn't use the atm, but was able to check my balance online without any problems. I know what you mean about credit cards, I'm the same. I may look into the CaxtonFX as an alternative. You can find information on Caxton at:

caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency cards aka cash passports.

Aw thanks loads, you being so helpful😊

i checked out caxtonfx but think ill stick to Sainsburys as its on mu door step so each week i can call in and top it up instead of saving money at home as i don't trust myself lol

Sainsbury's has same perks and benefits as caxtonfx too. Thomas cook charge for drawing out cash so not going to use them. I do like idea i have read about applying for a second card to keep in hotel room as back up.

how do you check statements online?

thanks again.

x