We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway Show Recommendation

Centerton, Arkansas
Level Contributor
71 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway Show Recommendation

We will be in the city for a few nights and wanted to see a show. Have already seen many that are playing now- but haven't seen Newsies, Pippin, Once or Rock of Ages. Which would you recommend?

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

I've seen Pippin and Once. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those, Pippin would be my choice of the 2. Newsies and Rock of Ages both have good reviews so you'll be fine anyone you choose, it comes down to your tastes.

Might be worthwhile to go on youtube or google and listen or view some of the numbers from the various shows.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

Saw Rock of Ages here in Melbourne and it was awesome. If you like 80s music go and see it.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

You might not get into Pippin as it is still selling out. Rock of Ages is 80s hair metal band music. I saw it & enjoyed it for what it is but that music is not my favorite. Newsies is about the newsboys strike back in the 1800s in NYC. It's interesting for the history & the show is well done. Once is based on a movie which is the true story of an Irish busker. It's a charming sweet show which has an added bonus of having a practical (working) bar onstage that you can go up to & buy a drink & stand there while the featured players jam around you before the show starts.

My favorite of all those shows is Pippin but since you probably won't get a seat for that show, I'd go with Once.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

When will you be here?

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

The Lion King was awesome! We enjoyed every minute of this show from beginning to end. :)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

If you are here this weekend or next and want to be a lot more adventurous, I'd go see Finian's Rainbow and Flahooley here -- …typepad.com/explorenyc/2014/01/off-off-broa…

Centerton, Arkansas
Level Contributor
71 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

Thanks for the input. We are hoping to see a show on Jan 13 or 15. Saw Lion King when it first arrived in NYC when we lived there and agree it is awesome! We are products of the 80's so Rock of Ages is our music. My husband wasn't interested in Once, so I may go on Wed. afternoon while he is working. There are few tickets to Pippin on the 15th, and we have our choice at Newsies.

8. Re: Broadway Show Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 05, 2015