We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internship in NYC, staying in Williamsburg

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Internship in NYC, staying in Williamsburg

My child will be starting an internship in Midtown Manhattan in January, 2014. She will be flying alone into JFK, and has an apartment rented near the corner of Flushing ave. and Spencer (in Williamsburg-Brooklyn). Is this a safe area? (the outside of the building looks a bit sketchy, but the girl she's rooming with went and toured it and said it was ok inside). Is it safe/is the best way to get there alone from JFK a taxi cab? How much will that cost? Any tips for newbies to the area? She has not been to NYC before,

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,898 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Internship in NYC, staying in Williamsburg

How old is your "child?" I assume old enough to be on a lease and travel here for a job. The area is fine - there are parts of NYC that may seem "sketchy" to people from elsewhere but they are just fine. I would think she would be looking for tips herself since she will be the one living here - tips on what? Hard to offer suggestions without knowing anything about her -

She should be pouring over the subway map (which she can look at online at: http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

to start to figure out best transportation for her for work, etc. I assume she already has a map of NYC (which includes Brooklyn) - If not, she should get one.

There is no flat fee fare from JFK to Brooklyn as there is to Manhattan; the taxi will be on meter so with traffic, who knows what it will cost. If she is not comfortable taking public transportation, she could arrange for a car service in advance to meet her at the airport - use a Brooklyn based one so they know where they are going; I live in Brooklyn and for rides from the airport, I use Legends (they are not all limousines regardless of the name): http://www.legendslimousine.com

You can book there in advance, she would then call them when she gets off the plane and they will tell her which car number to look out for. If I was arriving first time, I'd take a car service just for the ease of it and so not to feel frustrated because I don't know where I am going. Depends on her personality though - she may be fine with that option.

I assume there is a lease or sub-lease involved in this apartment rental? If not, that is what I would worry about.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internship in NYC, staying in Williamsburg

All buildings look a bit sketchy in New York when seen from Google Maps or compared to rural Wisconsin. :^) It just a different sort of place.

If your daughter has been in places like Chicago and is comfortable going around there (not just cities as calm as Minneapolis), she might be able to save $40 and take the subway to her new apartment.

Way #1) Take the JFK Air Train that says "Jamaica". Then take the "E" train to "Court Sq-23 St" (the stop after "Queens Plaza"), then change for the G train to "Flushing Avenue" Station. Walk 1/4 mile to Spencer St..

On some weekends in January, the G train might have infrequent service at that north end of the line. Check the web page: mta.info.

Way #2) An easy equal alternative is: Take the JFK Airtrain that says "Howard Beach". Take a Manhattan bound "A" train to "Hoyt-Schermerhorn". Go up, around and down to the other platform for a Queens-bound G train, and take that about 4 stops to Flushing Avene.

Either way the total cost is $7.50. You buy a Metrocard for $5 to leave the Airtrain. If she gets a 1-week or 1-month card before getting on the subway, that card will get her on the E or A train as part of that cost. Only the Airtrain can't be covered by a 1-week or 1-month pass.

A taxi would be $40 or so, but no walking up stairs with luggage, no getting lost. If she's like my daughter, she'll want the taxi that first time, and going back to JFK at the end of her internship, she'll either take the subway, or use a car service where she knows all the drivers by name, like many New Yorkers.

3. Re: Internship in NYC, staying in Williamsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 01, 2015