We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC for the first time

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
NYC for the first time

Hi Everyone,

I'm contemplating going visiting NYC for the first time in the for party based holiday but also has the opportunity to take in the sights. Having done some research online, there are several destinations in the US that fit the bill e.g. Miami. Therefore, I wondered if NYC a good choice for great party/clubbing location? Or should I consider others? I'm looking for a US destination that has a good a good mix of people/cosmopolitan crowd?

I've been to Las Vegas, LA and SD before and therefore wanted to try out the East Coast this time.

I'm in my early 30s and love my trance/dance music especially the stuff during the late 90/2000s.

Budget is not really an issue.

Anyone suggestions or ideas would be most welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC for the first time

I would say that Miami is the better bet for trance. New York is an awesome city, but from what I hear, Miami has the better trance scene.

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC for the first time

Many thanks for your prompt response Micheleyverse.

Having looked at the map, would it be possible to do both NYC and Miami in a week? Any suggestions when's the best time of year to go in terms of partying?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC for the first time

its possible yes but I wouldnt do it as you would lose a lot in travelling etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC for the first time

FYI

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=trance+music&find_loc=New+York%2C+NY

www.tranceaddict.com/forums/forumdisplay.php…

http://www.eventbrite.com/directory?q=trance+music&loc=New+York%2C+NY

https://www.facebook.com/trancefamilynyc

http://www.meetup.com/trancemusic/

but:

city-data.com/forum/…b

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC for the first time

You could do both in a,week if you fly between the two

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC for the first time

Thanks for the info LMVManchester_UK, NYNM and forgotmypword.

Although the Ultra Music Festival looks cool, I'm guessing the weather is not the best in late March?

Any alternative dates when the partying is still good?

I think I'm going to go to both NYC and Miami.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC for the first time

You really want to be in Miami in march during the Ultra music festival and other festivals going on at the same time I believe. Otherwise, the trance/progressive house scene doesn't exists much. March weather is fine in Miami

If you looking for Sasha/digweed type stuff in nyc it doesn't exists either. Used to, but not anymore.

Your best bet is to check your favorite djs websites or facebooks, look at their schedules and go from there.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC for the first time

I would fly into Miami and out of NYC on an open-jaw ticket, so you don't need to back track on the way home. My personal preference would be 4 nights in Miami and 2/3 in New York depending on how many nights you can be away. Flights back to the UK are overnight so even if you can't spend more than 2 nights in NYC your departure day is still a full one if you chose a late flight out. I wouldn't automatically book connections between Miami and NYC as part of your international ticket as it is often more expensive. I'd check the one way fare which can be as little at £70.

Can't help on the partying, whenever I go to Florida its to visit my elderly Aunt!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC for the first time

From what I hear, NYC is a crappy city for clubbing, and it has been for years. A big part of it is that our city government is pretty actively anti-nightlife, except when "nightlife" means $1000 bottle tables for high rollers.

The electronic music scene is even better in Chicago. Miami is of course the queen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC for the first time

Perfect. Thanks for the insight ziggy60, Id and jhwanderer.