We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

Hi guys,

I wondered if some of you seasoned travellers could offer some quick advice?

I'm looking to travel in August/September from London for around 6/7 days to NYC. Hoping to stay in a 'busy' location - perhaps Time Square.

Where am I likely to find a decent deal (if any?). So far my searches have been via expedia. In your experiences, have people on here found it better to book a flight seperatley and hotel direct? Perhaps a travel agent is a good shout?

I appreciate it's going to be an expensive trip no matter what!! :)

Thanks guys!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

August is significantly cheaper than September. I generally search separately. In my experience, travel agents want to book you with a lot of expensive nonsense like transfers that aren't any good because they make money that way.

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

When I booked I found I could not beat the BA sale. I priced it up all over and it was far cheaper. No transfers included, nor breakfast. Plus it was a ABTA package deal so had a little bit more protection than DIY.

Dash

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

look at kayak.com and skyscanner.co.uk for flight prices

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

1) you generally have to stay over a Sat. night to get best airfare. If you can't/don't, air/ hotel pkg. may be cheaper than buying separately

2) at times when airfare is very high (around holidays) a pkg may be cheaper than separately

3) check airfare on

Kayak.com

Skyscanner.net

On kayak, after doing a search, there's a tool at the top left called fare chart that predicts whether prices will go up or down.

People have talked about airfare sales in the UK in Jan but tyipically buying this far in advance is not the best deal.

For hotel prices, look on kayak and

Quikbook.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

I should have added, in general, buying air and hotel separately is often cheaper with more hotel options.

New York City
Level Contributor
969 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

Why Times Square? Unless you plan to go to Broadway shows every night and want to walk home, it's about the most boring neighborhood in NYC. Tourists and scammers. There are many other busy neighborhoods with more to offer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

Thanks for the advice. I wanted something pretty central to most attractions and with good transport links.... suggestions welcome!!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

There's no one location that will be "central to most attractions" in New York.

The vast majority of Manhattan hotels will have convenient subway access, which is the key thing you need.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

BA currently have a sale on and you can find some great prices as they include hotels , I have just returned and we stayed at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel , we booked in the last sale in September and for 4 nights it was a great trip at a great price

Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Trip - Booking from the UK

I booked flight and hotel package with BA. Couldn't beat it either. The hotel on its own was coming in at the same price that I got the whole lot with BA