We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

Hi everyone, I'm really really hoping someone can help me here otherwise I'm in big trouble!

I'm going to Canada over Christmas & my flight back to London, UK goes from Toronto to New York La Guardia and then Newark to London. I didn't even notice that there was no connecting flight from New York to Newark, I didn't even know that Newark was in New Jersey until I googled it just then! Very stupid of me not to notice this I know.

I'm supposed to arrive at La Guardia at 3:52pm and depart from Newark at 7:25 but because Newark is heading to London does that mean that I need to check into Newark 3 hours early because it's an international flight? Because I don't see how I can get to Newark from La Guardia in 25 minutes including going through customs & getting my luggage! I called the website that I booked my ticket through & they said that it'll cost me 2000 pounds to change it now because I'm still in England. They suggested I wait until I'm in Canada & then try & change it to a later flight.

I guess what I'm hoping for is a miracle, for one of you to say that I can get to Newark in half an hour & that I don't need to check in 3 hours early because it's a connecting flight or something. All of the flights are through United Airlines.

Help me please! I can't afford to buy another flight back to London!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

I would talk to United if these are the folks you booked through maybe they can help you

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

You don't "have" to check in 3 hrs before....that is suggested. I still don't think that you can make it.

If EVERYTHING goes according to plan(flight from Canada isn't late/short line at customs/immigration/bags come out asap/you catch a cab asap/no traffic-----which is not possible)....you would have an OUTSIDE LONGSHOT.

I would look to change the flight.

And FYI...it's not a connecting flight: LGA > EWR > London..

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

Try this. Go to limos.com and see what they can do to get you from LGA to Newark. It's not that far and they are quite reasonable with a fixed price. A taxi might (probably will) get stuck in very slow traffic and the meter runs of course and you could pay a hefty price. We used them last week from LGA and were so glad we did since it took an hour to get to our hotel. The 3 hour check-in is not etched in stone but a guide to make sure you don't get jammed up in security run by our TSA, which apparently stands for Thousands Standing Around..... You might also contact United and tell customer service your problem. Good luck, you should make it.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

She'll clear US customs and immigration before she leaves Toronto, won't she?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

To me, this is obviously a case where the OP should contact the entity that issued the ticket for whatever information they can provide in this situation.

THEY, not anonymous TA responders should be the ones tackling this incident.

Also, a reminder, albeit, after the horse gets out of the barn, READ your ticket as soon as you receive it and if there are any questions, contact the seller and work with them to a mutually satisfactorily solution.

There will be a lot of speculation offered here, but the FINAL decision/resolution is with the issuer of the ticket.

Poppa

Edited: 6:15 pm, December 17, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

3 hours is the maximum before the flight you can typically check in, not the minimum. Many people aim for 3 hours to be safe but unless you can change your flights them you don't have a choice, just get there as soon as you can (others can provide suggestions of the best route). It might not be much consolation but assuming all flights are on the same PNR, if you miss the flight from Newark they should rebook you and a later one but this could be the next day.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

Another option would be to book a flight from Toronto to Newark. Westjet, Porter and Air Canada are all options. Would be alot cheaper than 2000 pounds.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

I'd say you need to talk to whoever sold you this ticket. There is,imo, little chance you can make this connection. it's about as bad as transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow...maybe worse. Are you travelling on one ticket or two?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

Booking a flight from Toronto to Newark WILL NOT WORK. DO NOT DO THIS. Missing that middle leg of your itinerary means they will CANCEL the remaining portions of your trip. The Newark to London ticket will be null and void.

If you are landing in LGA, you are pre-clearing customs in Toronto. You are still going to have to wait for baggage claim though.

What day of the week? If it's a weekday, I think it's a lost cause. Even if it's not, it's a long shot. Flights are frequently delayed in winter.

Call the AIRLINE (not the booking website) and see what it will cost to alter your trip. Confirm the advice you received about waiting to try to change it until you've completed the first part of your trip.

The 2,000 pounds ($3,500 change fee) is ludicrous. You could book a one way nonstop ticket from Toronto to London for about $800-$1,300 (looking at randomly chosen "after Christmas" dates) and just throw away your entire return ticket.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please!!! I'm begging you!

You really need to deal with the airline on this issue - only they can give correct flight info and issue tickets - Please, CALL THE AIRLINE!

Poppa