We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

Grayling, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

I am visiting NYC for with my teen age sons (16.17,18), and looking at Guy's American Kitchen & Bar for a New Years Eve Party, on 44th ave, 1/2 block from the square on Cost is $135 per person for a VIP table. The kids want to be out in the square to watch the ball drop, but I do not want to stand out there for 10 hours. Before I too much calling around, does anybody know if you can attend one of these restaurants and then go out to the square to see the ball drop?? Thanks in advance.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

I answered your question in the other thread.

I would truly and strongly suggest that you read the various posts on here regarding New Year's Eve to save yourself and others some energy. I would also suggest you look at OpenTable to see what places are available.

What I've noticed is that people tend to think New York will just be a slightly larger sized version of their home town. Ergo they think they can just walk down the street on New Year's Eve and get whatever they want at a great price, and there won't be too many people about.

Over one MILLION people crowd into Times Square to see the ball drop. They are standing cheek by jowl with no seating and no bathrooms. The area restaurants are packed. Many of them hold lotteries MONTHS before to determine who will have the chance of buying entrance. The only indoor places left with a guaranteed view of the ball drop are going for around $3000 a ticket.

It is highly unlikely that you will see the ball drop even if you eat in Times Square. In fact, I would say that you would have to wonder why Guy's still has seating at this late date. It's probably because the food is so horrible.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

If you use OpenTable, you won't have to call around. You will be able to make reservations while sitting in your pajamas.

try to also remember that any question you probably have about coming to New York during the holidays has probably been answered several times already. Which means you can just look through to find answers to almost everything. Except Civil War stuff. For that you have to ask the people here who are history buffs.

Speaking of the Civil War, if you wondered what life in NY looked like for the well-off during that period, check out the Merchant House Museum. http://www.merchantshouse.org/calendar/

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

This is also something that should be on your radar if you love history: …blogspot.com/2013/07/its-150th-anniversary-…

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

You might also like this book on sites in NYC related to the Civil War. www.amazon.com/gp/product/1611211220…

Grayling, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

Again, thanks for the info....I am retired military and we will be staying at the Navy Lodge on Staten Island.....sure can not beat the price. My kids are pretty adamant they want to stand in the square for the experience....told them they will have to be there around 2:00 pm and stand there for 10 hours with no bathroom breaks...they are still a go on this.....so for me, I will try to find a place to set for the duration...hoping to set at a table, and use the bathroom....ya, I know I probably will not get to see the ball drop, and it would have been nice, but at my age, my bod would be crying for revenge....this, plus I have to drive 13 hours on the 1st to get back in Northern Michigan by the second so my son won't miss basketball practice....thank God he has his license and can help drive :)

6. Re: Watching the ball drop, or sitting in a nearby restaurant???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 17, 2014