We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner on New Year's Eve

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Topic
Dinner on New Year's Eve

Hello all. Traveling to spend the week of New Year's in NYC with our two teens. After doing some research here, we realized our plan to watch the ball drop in Times Square was not ideal. We were able to get tickets to see Billy Joel in Brooklyn instead. Now looking for advice for an early dinner before the concert. Our boys asked for a nice steakhouse - so far I've narrowed it down to Porter House, Smith & Wollensky, or Peter Luger. Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? Also, will catching a cab to and from the Barclays Center on New Year's Eve be difficult? (We are staying at the Hyatt Times Square.) Thanks for any help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head vis getting a taxi at all or what the traffic will be like..... but I've just gone onto google maps to think about it....the locals will be awake in a few hours and will put you right.....

Until then, this is what I thought:

Using the wonderful google Maps 'get directions' - it won't be that hard (or take much more time) to get there and back on the subway. I tried it for Dec 31 evening and it seems like it's only 1/2 an hour each way on one train (the B, Q or 3)...but I don't know what it will be like getting out of the subway at Times Square and getting back to your hotel..it seems awfully close to the 'ball drop' and the crowds will be enormous.

But adding the restaurants into the equation -

Peter Luger seems logical given it's in Brooklyn, tho' getting between there and Barclay Center might be better via a taxi than a ~15 minute walk to the subway to get the G train to the concert venue.

Whilst Porter House is going further away from Brooklyn than your hotel, on google maps 'get directions' shows it's easy to get to from your hotel and also easy to get to Barclay's Center on the D train from the restaurant.

The other option - Smith & Wollensky - might work well vs public transport and walking tho' it's a 17 minute walk to the restaurant but then it's fairly direct to the concert venue from there.

In terms of what the restaurants are like, when people ask about steak restaurants many recommend Peter Luger's but the other two are less often recommended on those threads.

And getting back to your hotel on the train is direct, but like I said, I don't know how easy it will be when you get near your hotel.

I think it will all be fine...just one of those 'take a deep breath' experiences and make sure you stick together.

new york
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

The N or R line is about a 20-25 trip from Times Square to the Barclay's Center, likely your best bet as getting a cab may be difficult after the show, and will take more time/be more expensive.

Aside from the steakhouses you listed, Strip House is great (the original is on 12th st, but they recently opened a location near Times Square), and Keane's is also very good.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

Don't count on getting a taxi on NYE. Subway is your best option, but stations right near Times Square are usually closed during the NYE crowds. Rockefeller Center Station should be open and is a good option for your hotel.

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

Thanks for your replies. My first thought was that there is no way we'll get my husband to ride the subway...but with three people saying the same thing, looks like I'll have to look at that option as a back-up in case you guys are right and there are no cabs to be found anywhere.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

First.....I would make sure that I schedule an EARLY dinner so that you are out of the Times Square area before it turns into a madhouse.

Second...don't count on getting a cab on NYE. You could...and you could walk/wait for a while.

Third...if you go to Smith & Wollensky or the Porter House..it is very easy to get to the Barclays Ctr and back to the city:

Porter House-Take the 2 or D train at Columbus Circle directly to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center

S&M-take the 6 train at 51st/Lex to Grand Central(the next stop.) Then take the 4 directly to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center

Luger's-I would take a car service(not a taxi as they are as not as frequent as they are in the city) from there to the Barclays. If Luger's calls one or provides you a number..just note that it could take a WHILE because it is NYE.

Getting back to your hotel is easy..take the D train at Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center to Rock Center.

Why the hesitation on your husband's part to get on the subway?

Edited: 7:29 pm, December 12, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

Oh.....and it won't be easy to get a car service(taxis will be scarce) after the show. There is a car service a few blocks away on 4th Avenue....but I can bet that the wait will be forever..unless you get lucky.

The easy way is jumping on the subway...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

If your husband won't take the subway, he should plan to spend NYE in his hotel room while the rest of you enjoy yourselves. I'm serious. There's no other way to get to and from Brooklyn on New Year's Eve, unless he wants to walk across the bridge in sub-freezing temperatures. It's impossible to get a cab, and you won't find a car service to do that trip.

Pick a steakhouse in Manhattan near your hotel, or in between your hotel and Brooklyn by subway. Peter Luger's is great, but just because it's in Brooklyn doesn't make it convenient to other Brooklyn locations. The only way to get from there to Barclay's Center by subway is to go back through Manhattan, so you might as well stay in Manhattan to eat if you want steak. If you'd be willing to expand your dining criteria, there are other places more convenient to Barclay's Center that you might enjoy.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

**If your husband won't take the subway, he should plan to spend NYE in his hotel room while the rest of you enjoy yourselves. I'm serious.**

^^

Kinda have to agree with that!

Edited: 7:51 pm, December 12, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

There's not many taxis around in Brooklyn - even by the arena - at any time and on NYE - you need to do the subway or you will be (most likely) standing on a corner for ages. Brooklyn is still the borough of car services unless one catches a taxi in Manhattan to go to Brooklyn and then those taxis will pick up passengers if they get lucky to go back to Manhattan, or elsewhere in Brooklyn. We are getting there as the demographics continue to change here but do not count on a taxi - at all.

Not sure what the problem could be that someone would not want to jump on the subway - quicker all the way around and will take you where you need to go - no fuss, no muss. The subway station is within a 2 or 3 minute walk from the arena - silly not to take it. It will be packed with people coming out of the arena -

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner on New Year's Eve

You can actually exit the subway and be right in front of the Barclays Ctr.......it's a no brainer.....