We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York December

coventry, england
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New York December

We will be in New york 2nd week of December 2013 to celebrate our 5th Wedding anniversary and 1st time in NY for my husband, we are only here for 4 days and would like to see as much possible, We fly into Newark airport is it easier and cheaper to get a transfer from the airport we will be staying at Best Western President Times Square.

We are thinking of getting a citypass for 3 days but is it worth it.

We would like to see and do the follwoing:

Empire State Building

Top of the Rock

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island OR Circle Line Cruise

Sex and the City Tour

Local Brewery tours

A Broadway show maybe

Best places to shop and eat at reasonable prices

Any advise would be great.

Then there's Central Park and the 911 Memorial. Maybe a play if there's

New York Tour1
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
9\/11 Ground Zero Tour
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Streetwise New York Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York December

I would get the train from the airport

I wouldnt get the citypass especially when you are for such a short time

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York December

You should read the Top Questions on the right (must use full website to see these). In particular you should look at the articles on "How do I get from the airport to Manhattan?" and "Are the New York Pass, Explorer Pass or CityPass worth it?":

In general the "best places to do X" are highly dependent on the individual so it's hard to give advice without knowing what you like to do. Have a look through the Top Questions topics and then come back for more specific advice once you have narrowed your choices a bit.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,108 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York December

Make certain you check out what shows you might want to see & then check availability. Some shows are sold out months in advance.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New York December

Also, and others will agree with me - look at a map. You only have three days. Google is very useful for this.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,031 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York December

I agree about skipping the pass.

In addition to checking out the Top Questions section, you can learn a lot from reading existing forum discussions. You'll quickly learn that there are hundreds and hundreds of great places to eat, so you need to narrow down your criteria for suggestions. Think about what you want to eat, preferred ambiance, where, when and what you consider "reasonable". Some people consider $20 pp reasonable for dinner, others consider $50 reasonable. .Menupages.com can be useful and give you a sense of the scope for your options.

The same goes for shopping. What are you shopping for and what do you consider "reasonable" prices? If clothing, what type of clothing?

Since you are coming during the holidays, you probably want to include some of the great holiday activities and sites, including Christmas markets, holiday window displays at department stores, etc.

If you want to see a Broadway Show, especially during the busy holiday season, it's best to book tickets in advance. Broadwaybox.com has discount tickets (but some shows are never discounted). Some shows will be sold out or have very limited availability.

coventry, england
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York December

Thank u for all this advise

Most appreciated

7. Re: New York December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 07, 2014