We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Hi everybody!

I'm a 22 year-old danish girl. I'm planning a trip to New York in July. I'm planning on staying for 3 weeks, and so far I've booked my first week at HI hostel near central park on Amsterdam.

I would really love to experience the city of course, but i'm also hoping to meet some people to hang out with. Any advices on that? Is there any websites where you can get in touch with people travelling to NY?

I'm very independent, but three weeks in NY would be a bit boring if I'm not gonna get to now any people at all.

Does any of you have experience with the Hostel and area?

Hope to get some great advices! :)

- Camilla.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Thanks everybody.

Is there any areas you would recommend meeting people? and do you any websites that can help you get in contact with other travelers?

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Cute girl = easy friends jajaja , dont worry so much about it , you will met a lot of guys in the hostel for sure

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Djelle - in response #1 you were told about meetup.com

Here's a link

http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/ny/new_york/

I, too, think you're worrying too much about it. But unlike Alan I'm not assuming you are only interested in meeting guys. Again, you are staying the first week at HI. I think you'll meet lots of people. From their very own website:

"No other New York City hostels can boast Manhattan's largest privately owned sunken patio and garden. Spend an evening in this oasis or on our second floor balcony—rarities in space conscious Manhattan—or join one of our FREE nightly happy hours, FREE pub-crawls, or FREE clubbing nights. If you feel like staying in, our in-house theater offers a perfect opportunity to rest up or watch the World Cup on a huge screen. Our FREE pool table and FREE Wii are also great ways to meet fellow NYC hostellers. We also plan daily free tours and events to help you make the most of your stay at this exceptional New York City hostel. But, if you'd prefer to go it alone, our helpful info staff (on duty 24/7) will gladly provide you with a map and advice before you leave to help make the most of your adventure."

It sounds like a very interactive and social stay to me!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Alan's post is probably reflective of the type of meet up you do NOT want! But, thanks Alan for providing the example!

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,855 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

I thought the same thing, rdglady!

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Thank you all :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,332 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

Meetup is a good option. There are 100s of Meetups every night, for every interest. I would join the groups that interest you, a few months in advance of your trip - and you'll be informed of events you can join. These are not all dating things - there are Yoga meet ups, Ethnic food meet ups, wine tasting, etc.

You also probably know people who know people in NYC on Facebook. Try to get them to introduce you in advance. I have a whole group of expat friends in Paris I met through a friend on Facebook.

The hostel is the best idea. You'll meet a lot of people in the common areas.

I go with my gut about giving out information. I travel all over the world alone and rarely have issues. There have been times when I've had to resort to "my husband is in meetings" but most of the time now, I just say Im traveling alone and no one really cares. Then again, I am not a 22 year old beautiful Danish woman!

suitcaseready.com

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

the area is great, I love Upper West (I usually stay at 85th street)

you will meet lots of travellers at the HI, don't worry. A friend of mine stayed there (solo as well) and she had someone to spend the day with on most days.

And New York will keep you plenty occupied, don't worry ^_^

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

does anyone know if 'grubwithus' is still going strong?

I can find plenty of reviews, but not the original site ....

nypost.com/2011/…

nytimes.com/2011/…

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Travelling alone in NY. How can I meet people?

When are you going to be in HI? I'm staying there as well, and I'm traveling alone too, we can do some stuff together...

Reply if u're interested :)