We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

md
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

Going on my annual NYC Christmas trip with my 19-year-old daughter Dec. 18-19. We had bought tickets for Romeo & Juliet (her request) several months ago, but I got an email yesterday that the show has been canceled. Any suggestions on what other show we should try to see? In previous years we've seen Jersey Boys, Mamma Mia, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Lion King, Wicked, Mary Poppins, Hair Spray, Legally Blonde, etc. As you can see, we enjoy fun, light-hearted musicals. (I realize R&J does not qualify as fun and light-hearted, but the draw to that was Orlando Bloom and the fact that my daughter is a Shakespeare fan!) I got the tickets through Tix4Students at a great price, so I'd love to find something they offer discounts to. We do have tickets to see the Christmas Show, also.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from $36.00*
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
1,059 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

If you like light-hearted musicals you should check out Kinky Boots. Not sure if you will find discount tickets though.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,490 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

You won't get discounts but:

Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 (off broadway)

ew.com/ew/…00.html

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (broadway)

didhelikeit.com/shows/a-gentlemans-guide-to-…

After Midnight (a musical review)

didhelikeit.com/shows/after-midnight-reviews…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,528 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

I'd suggest first looking at which tickets are available for your target price point AND still have good seats left. That may narrow down the list to just a few.

New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

if your daughter is a Shakespeare fan, the current production of Twelfth Night (brought over from the Globe in London) is AMAZING. it stars Mark Rylance and Stephen Fry, and it's an all-male cast with all the trappings of an authentic Elizabethan production. the entire balcony at every performance is $25. I'm not sure what the ticket availability is like, but it's a great show.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

I'll second a Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

"Beautiful" is a new musical about Carole King. It just started previews so it hasn't received much attention yet but I saw it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The comments from people on the way out were very positive also. It was similar in style to "Jersey Boys" and Jessie Mueller as Carole King is excellent.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

I saw "Beautiful" in San Francisco last month and would go see it again. "Kinky Boots" and "Cinderella" are also good choices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

Although very different from Romeo & Juliet, I think most 19 year olds with a sense of humor would like Avenue Q. If your daughters a traditionalist, she may like Pippen or Annie. Gentleman Guide to Murder is also quiet good.

Really, I think you could consider yourself lucky you missed out on R&J. Orlando was the only shinning star of the production.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,876 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

I have to disagree. A friend and I went to see R & J and loved it. I am sorry you are going to miss out.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romeo & Juliet canceled....now what?

"Once" has been at the half-price booth a few days a week. I think it would appeal to a 19-year old with a parent. It ends as a satisfying three-handkerchiefer (unconsummated love affair, no deaths), but is mostly light-hearted and so musical it's like a night at a Dublin pub (NOT that much "Irish" music.) But you are coming during a peak week. It might be better to look for discounts on BroadwayBox.com - the site itself, not the parasitic resellers who advertise there.