We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

A little about us, so you know who you’re talking to: myself and my husband, both 24, from a little town in Queensland, Australia. My husband is a chef, and I’m a department manager in a office.

This was our second trip to the States together (my third, if you count Hawaii), and our second time to New York. (You can see my first TR here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5026242… )

If you have read that TR, you’ll know we stayed at the IC Times Square last time, which we loved, but had decided the next time we visited we wanted to stay away from that area. You’ll also see I was in love with the Plaza Hotel, where I’ve wanted to stay for nearly 20 years. Luckily for us (mainly me), this time – both those wishes came true.

We booked 4 nights at the Smyth Tribeca and one night at the Plaza. I’ll be posting reviews shortly. I’ll post the TR one day per post so the OP isn’t massively long!

Level Contributor
36,382 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

I also had always dreamt of staying at The Plaza! Our 3 night stay there exceeded all expectations! :).

SE QLD
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Great trip report Stelle. We are flying over from Brisbane in March, also arriving about 5pm so it was interesting to hear what it was like to arrive then (as well as all the other wonderful things you did!). Love that you had a map this time around.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

I really enjoyed reading your trip report, especially the section about your experience at The Plaza....all the details you added, and the pricing will definitely be of help to those planning their trips to NYC........

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Thanks everyone for your replies! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here - I had two days off and then straight back into 45-50 hour weeks, and no free weekend days in the leadup to Christmas.

I didn't have as many prices included this time as last time...we were just so busy, I didn't have a chance to keep track. If anyone is really keen for pricing on anything I haven't mentioned, let me know and I'll do my best to get it for you :)

Now to start writing my accommodation reviews (finally) - will hopefully have them up tomorrow night!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Thank you for such a detailed and interesting trip report. I loved it.

Just curious, did you depart Australia from Brisbane or fly Brisbane to Sydney then to NYC?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

We flew Brisbane - LA - NYC :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,732 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Wow..... a Big Apple Greeter and Daniel and then, THAT room with THAT view....WOW.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Great report; thanks for all the details.

The farmer's market in post #2 is at Washington Market Park on Greenwich Street in case anyone else wants to find it. It's a real "locals" kind of place but very small compared to the one at Union Square.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

I loved your commentary about the upgrade you got at the Plaza - those types of unexpected experiences are my absolute favorite things about vacation. I almost cried when you said you started bawling, I think I would have done the same thing! I would love to see a picture of the view from your room.

Thanks for posting :) I can't wait to do a TR after our trip (2 weeks from today!).

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: TR: 1-6 Nov, Tribeca, the Plaza, Big Apple Greeter and more!

Great TR - cannot wait for our trip in February...my first time! And home alone encapsulates everything that I'm looking forward to :) lol. Your experience in the plaza sounds great!