We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eataly

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Eataly

I just read that Chicago's own Eataly is supposed to open next week at 63,000 square feet with 8 restaurants. (Somehow I feel like the one in NYC is still going to be better) I have no idea why I'm just now reading about it, but I guess it's opening up in the next few days. I'm only posting about it because I really wanted to go to the one in NYC and was angry that I probably wouldn't be able to bring home much and now...MUHAHAHAHAHA I will buy it all now. :D

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eataly

Boston is probably next

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eataly

Soon they will be all over, like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I don't know if that's good or bad. I work right near them and find their groceries, cheeses, etc very overpriced, though I've never actually eaten at one of their restaraunts

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eataly

There's even one in Rome -

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eataly

No! In Rome? Really? This is all part of the decline of western civilization.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eataly

It actually originated in Torino. I would gladly substitute all the trader joes and supermarkets of Staten Island with an Eataly

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eataly

I thought it tarted out in Rome, but stand corrected by Ziggy. Love some of the items that only they seem to have (Italian "mixers" like the Cedrata and condiments such as the cream of capers with anchovies), as well as their inhouse baked country bread with prosciutto and pancetta. Have eaten at Manzo which I enjoyed as well gotten take out from the Rotisserie section.

Edited: 2:34 pm, November 19, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eataly

I read that there's 12 in Italy and 9 in Japan, which I thought was really weird. It's really strange because typically when a new store comes to Chicago it gets advertised like crazy, like literally you can't get away from it. The campaign for Chic-fila was absolutely insane so I was surprised to find out that it's opening so soon and it's been kind of quiet on advertising. They keep saying it'll open on the 22nd or the 29th, but there's really no details otherwise. They just keep saying 1,000 parking spaces, 8 restaurants, and 63,000 square feet. I see online that their items like pasta and pasta sauces are about $9 seems pricey, then again gas is $4.29 a gallon here on some weekends and I pay sometimes upwards to $4 for a gallon of milk that expires within a week and isn't even soy or organic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eataly

If it's in Japan then Australia could be on the cards.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eataly

Well, OK, I guess if it started in Italy it's OK then. I thought it started here

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eataly

It did start here - and then they later opened one in Rome. I won't go to that one either as I don't like it - just too big for me and too much stuff - I was in Rome for a few weeks and stuck to my usual little shops for everything as I much prefer the small neighborhood shops; in Italy as well as here at home. And, thankfully, there are still some small good shops hanging on here.