We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Hi

I arrive next Tuesday in NY and am somewhat overwhelmed by all there is to see do etc. am staying in the ameritania hotel ,54th street and looking for some help on where to go close ish for Brekkie, dinner at night and thanksgiving night also. I've read heaps and heap and spent hours on this forum looking at stuff but not much further forward. We are having a day down by Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, china town etc, day at Central Park but other than that I'm not sure how LNG it will take to do the other things like, the rock, Eire state, Macy's etc

Any advice great fully received

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Eire state, the rock?????

For for sample itineraries get a guidebook and PLEASE read the Top Questions for NYC to the right of these postings on this page!

It's not rocket science - just take time to do some basic research.....

Edited: 6:48 pm, November 16, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Abbreviations are useless at times. One I hate the most is Brekkie...

As Poppa had just demonstrated, abbreviating words or slight typographical errors mean that people have little idea what you're on about.

Structured detailed questions are the easiest to answer. Vague questions get vague answers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,612 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

I'm guessing it is the Empire State Building and Top of the Rock

Yes, look over your guidebook and a map - you will be able to group sites that are close together to make the best use of your time. My guess is that you haven't yet picked up your guidebook - you should get one - the forum here on TA is great but it doesn't have substantive information about sites that I would think one would want to have so they know what they are looking at (history and background).

I would suggest using www.opentable.com/new-york-city-restaurants… to find dinner for Thanksgiving (and other meals) - having no info from you as to what your dinner budget is, type of food you want, etc.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Welocme to the forum.

Are you watching the parade on Thanksgiving? Macy's is open from 8pm that night and all day Black Friday. My experience is go early before the crowds arrive around 10.30am. When you have had enough head over to the Empire state building. I must admit I prefer Top of the Rock to the ESB. Lines are shorter and I like the view better.

Make time to look at the shop windows. You will want to have a walk up or down 5th Avenue.

As to how long you will spend in Macy's that entirely up to you. Depends what you want and when you go.

Google maps is a good resource to look at. Check out what's around your hotel then look at the reviews online. You should be able to find breakfast closeby.

Edited: 7:24 pm, November 16, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Brekkie ( love that word) would be available at any number of cafés and diners within a short walk of your hotel. Brunch is very popular in NYC on the week ends and can be found at most restaurants until 4 pm which can be annoying when you want something other than pancakes and eggs.

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

A few comments.

If you go to the top of the Empire State Building, probably no need to to to the Top of the Rock.

Are you planning to see a Broadway Show? You can go to the TKTS booth on 47th street. There are discounted tickets there for some shows. the most popular shows are not there---they will be sold-out or you will have to buy tickets at the box office. Keep in mind even a discounted ticket could be between 65 and 100 dollars. Also, do not buy from any scalpers on the street. Often their tickets are counterfeits.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Brekkie annoys me as well, just saying.

To find things nearby to where you are staying go to google maps, type in your hotel and display the map. Then click on 'search nearby' and type in breakfast or food or bagels or whatever you want to find. It will show what's nearby.

Another good way to find food is to go to yelp.com or menupages.com.

Altarnun, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Brekkie is actually recognised by the Oxford English Dictionary, so love it or hate it, there is nothing wrong in using it.

The OP's post may be vague but it can be daunting looking at all of the links, some of which have ambiguous information to say the least (referring to Ground Zero when it clearly offends those of a sensitive disposition).

There's a lot here who need to get over themselves.

Just saying.

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

Thank you all for your reply.m I was actually on my phone posting last night and didnt realise Empire Came up as Eire! Seem to have offended some on my use of the word Brekkie but hey think everyone knows what I mean.

Great advice from most folk and glad I posted. As I said I have researched and researched and needed wee bit of help and am very grateful to those of you that bothered. I didnt realise on google I could do what you suggested and can "search nearby" so thank you Aynat62.

Don't know much about the parade but want to see it so I think I will go with your advice and then head off elsewhere after seeing a bit of it. Im not a huge shopper but would like to see the main stores if only to say I've been and seen. Thank you lassie.

Def planning a broadway show, no idea what one yet. Someone suggests the tickets booth so think will go with that. Will thanksgiving day be extra busy for the shows or not. Trying to work out what day to see one. Thanks Stuq

I would love just a typical thanksgiving dinner, nothing too fancy, just proper traditional dinner, so if any suggestions that be good, I've been on top table but there are so many restaurants that come up I'm unsure where to go so was merely wondering if anyone had been to a down to earth place serving typical fare. I'm not looking for fancy for thanksgiving. Will get a guidebook momcat1992,

Marvellous1967- thanks, felt a bit battered after the first two posts!

Thank you again

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time NYC, 4 days, any help appreciated

If you want to wait until you get to the city, rather than spend your time on line at TKTS, go to NYC & Co on the west side of 7th Ave near 53rd St & ask them for their paper discounts. Then take the discount directly to the theater at any time during your visit. (TKTS discounts are only good for one or two performance times.)