We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy will the city be on New Years?

Darwin NT
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How busy will the city be on New Years?

Not so much in terms of going out at night - we're travelling with small children and aren't interested in the revels. We have a list of touristy things to do in our week long stay (28th - 4th) and I'm just planning what to do on what day. On the 31st and 1st, we'd still like to do some touristy things. I was thinking high tea at the Plaza Hotel? I was also considering exploring Central Park, but will it be too packed? Will there be stuff everywhere after a bunch of parties? People passed out all over the place? Is there any major tourist activity you'd recommend for the 31st or 1st?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,425 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

Generally if a person is passed out outdoors help is called. We wouldn't want them to freeze to death. Central Park is quite large. It won't be deserted but it won't be Times Square busy. A problem that will be much more of a concern then passed out people blocking you path is the weather ... Could be 45F and sunny or 35F and rainy or 10 degrees Fahrenheit and snowy or anything in between. It is tough to plan this far in advance to spend your entire day outdoors because you don't know what the weather will be.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

Over a MILLION people will gather in Times Square for the 60 second ball drop at midnight. It is best avoided as the NYPD pens people up for viewing - just check the search function for more info.

Best bet - head toward Greenwich Village/Chinatown for reasonably priced food - many places inflate their prices on NYE.

Central Park has a fireworks display at midnight so it too will be crowded.

No worries about stumbling over passed out people - not really a common occurrence here.

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

We use people that pass out on the streets as paving stones.

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

Basically very busy like any major city in the world!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

Last time I was in New York for NYE I ate at a diner, had an early night then got up early the next morning and hit Central Park to greet the new year with a long walk. It was glorious. The park was dusted with fresh snow and it was very peaceful. This year I will get on an Amtrak train on Dec 30th and visit DC for a few days mainly to avoid paying the NYC hotel charges for those nights. The NYE thing at Times Square is easily avoidable and you won't even know about it if you make other plans away from that area.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

**People passed out all over the place?**

No! What type of books have you been reading??

7. Re: How busy will the city be on New Years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 16, 2014