We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

There are exactly 90 days until my flight so the seats became available for me to choose today

I was up at 6am so thought I'd get in there early - I'm flying economy and for some odd reason only the seats at the very end of the cabin on the lower deck were available - even though there are plenty more economy seats on the plane

I'm pretty sure that that many people haven't booked there seats already

So why are they not available for me to select? Do virgin release more seats again nearer the time?

Also, does anybody know if it's better to sit on the left or right, when flying into JFK? For photography purposes?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm travelling solo for the very first time so will probably look out the window quite often - if anyone knows a decent economy seat to pick that would be great! It's a long flight so I would like to be comfy. I noticed it has an upper deck and although there are economy seats upstairs, sadly they are unavailable.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

Instead of looking on an anonymous website for specific airline information - I suggest you call VIRGIN Atlantic and speak to a reservations agent...

They will be more than likely to be of assistance than someone here who can offer some thoughts, but no real-time information.

Varsthay?

Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

Because the likes of virgin will try and sell you anything

Eg exit row seats

Extra leg room seats etc

They aren't that bothered about you as a passenger they just want to make extra money

Whereas someone on here, maybe a frequent flyer will know which seats on their aircraft are decent & which ones are not so great

People on trip advisor will more than likely have flown LHR - JFK an will know whether you see more out of the window on the left or right

Staff at virgin don't necessarily care for those things & may not have even flown to New York

I don't see the problem in asking for advice on here, isn't that the point of these forums?!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

I can't really offer much advice on this subject, but could point in the direction of somewhere that could

There's a similar sort of Forum called Airliners.net where they're quite the flight enthusiasts and probably would have a better idea of how the airlines work and they'd know about the better views probably (:

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

>>>So why are they not available for me to select? Do virgin release more seats again nearer the time?<<<

Well - how would someone on this Forum know the answer to that question?

As for best side to sit - planes do not always approach the same way - or on the same runway - crap shoot.

And if you don't want a sales pitch from VA - just let them know at the beginning of your call.

Or just do what you want................only making some practical suggestions.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

Ask on the Air Travel forum.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,886 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

The direction planes take off / land varies depending on weather and wind.

uk
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

yes - VA do release more seats - try again tomorrow , that will be less than 90 days - should be easier! ( was a VA stewardess)

8. Re: Flying virgin Atlantic LHR - JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 13, 2014