We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local v express

Dublin
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Local v express

Going to NYC on 25th Nov, studied subway and thought I had my bearings, now I find that there are local and express, looking at the subway map how do you tell the difference ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local v express

They are known by train line - you can tell only by checking if a certain train skips stops. For instance, by looking at the map you can see the 6 train stops at all stops from 42nd St (Grand Central) down to Union Square. It's a local train. But the 4 train doesn't stop, and goes straight from 42nd St (Grand Central) to 14th St (Union Square). That's the express train.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local v express

And note that toward the end of routes express and local trains often diverge. Don't assume you can get to a particular express train stop just by taking the local.

To use Kateoz' example. If you were at Grand Central and wanted to go to Wall Street, you couldn't just assume that you could take the 6 and you'd get there, albeit a little more slowly. The 6 ends at Brooklyn Bridge so you'd need to take the 4 or 5 in any event. If you were boarding at a local stop, say 33rd Street, you'd have to change from the 6 to the 4 or 5 at either 14th Street/Union Square or, if you wanted to stay on the local longer, at Brooklyn Bridge.

Edited: 9:14 am, November 11, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,058 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local v express

Basically, when you look at the subway map, you have to look at more than just the lines, you have to look at which trains actually stop at each station. Black dots on the map generally indicate that only local trains stop at that particular station, while white dots indicate that all trains that pass through stop there. Some trains are local in one borough and express in another: the F train, for example, is an express in Queens and a local in Manhattan. You just have to look at the station dots and see what trains stop.

I promise, it's all a lot simpler when you start actually doing it.

4. Re: Local v express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 13, 2014