We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

Trying to decide...we will be visiting 4 days the weekend before Thanksgivng. I have been to New York many times including a 3 week stay but, it will be the 18 year old son's first visit. Please help me decide?

$324 for (2) 3 day city passes (checked specific things and it would save us $196 in entry fees) or $200 total for 9 hour tour that comes almost all of the biggies on our 2nd day which would be a Saturday with driver and guide?

Many thanks!

Ttj

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

What attractions does it include?

Many museums have a pay what you wish policy.

Are you comparing two different options?

Why not just do it on your own - seems like you'll be rushing about trying to 'fit it all in'.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

onbaord tours and real new york tours are good options

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

I would do neither....especially the 2nd.

The city passes makes you feel like you need to go from 1 location to another. IMO, you won't have time to just relax and just wander around NYC.

Having a driver in NYC is not a benefit. Getting from point A to point B will take longer with a car vs via the subway...and you will sit in traffic.

I would take 1 loop on the HOHO bus and then I would visit all of the locations on my own....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

The tour sounds awful to me. First, I wouldn't want to ride around on a bus all day. Second, covering "almost all the biggies" in NYC in nine hours sounds like making a a mad dash to check things off a list without actually taking time to absorb and enjoy what you're doing.

Why not get a guidebook and explore on your own, at your own pace?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

Thank you all for your quick replies! I am actually comparing the two options. The shuttle tour gets us to many of the main tourist stops with no lines/waiting and a guide who tells us about our stops and sights. The gain is seeing the biggies quickly and letting him understand the orientation of the city to the burroughs... which will let us relax and have time to explore the next two days. The negative is...it's a tour bus;-) Leaning towards just doing city passes, even if we only do SOL, ESB, NBC, TOTR, and 2 of the included tours, it saves us money. The HOHO just seems unappealing to me...but, maybe I should consider it. We will have 7 days Metro cards and am very comfortable with subway. Hard to get a lay of the land when you are underground and popping up into different areas of city. Thanks, again.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

for such a short time, I agree that this is not the best use of your time

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

The MetroCard is good for public buses as well. Your son is 18.. Let him drive some of this and do some of the planning. Plot his top five and add your must sees around them and see what you get.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

The HoHo bus is an excellent option for seeing the city when you first arrive and it's a much better use of your time and money. I recommend you pick the things you really want to visit and try to enjoy the ambiance of the city. Many 'must do' attractions don't actually cost anything or only require a 'donation' and include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY Public Library, Grand Central Station, Central Park, The High line, and Staten Island Ferry. After a recent trip one week trip to NYC with my husband and two children we found it was the least touristy things that we most enjoyed. The NYC Pass is expensive and includes things you likely won't even want to see - but you'll be paying for it. Good luck!

new york
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

For a shirt visit, I would not do both TOTR and ESB. I prefer TOTR, particularly just before the sun goes down so that you can get daylight and night views. The wait time is usually shorter as well.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 hr shuttle tour or 3 day nyc pass to show 18y/o the city?

>>>>with no lines/waiting and a guide who tells us about our stops and sights<<<<

What does this mean?????