We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

Jerseyville...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

Our family is coming in this weekend and we are super excited! I'm a little nervous as we're getting down to the wire though.

Anyway, we were going to do the Statue of Liberty through statuecruises.com and get the tickets to access the pedestal for I think $17 each. For the last couple of days, their website hasn't been working to order tickets, so I'm beginning to wonder if that option is going to work.

My understanding is that tickets purchased through statuecruises get you access to the pedestal of the statue and also stops at Ellis Island so you can look around there.

I assume that if you take the Staten Island ferry for free, it goes to Staten Island, so you could see the statue up close (not go in), but would not get a stop by Ellis Island.

If we end up doing the Staten Island ferry, it'll be fine, I just want to know what to expect. Also, where do you catch the free ferry? Is it also out of Battery Park?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

If you want to go to the statue and have pedestal access, you must see if it's still available for this weekend. If it is PHONE for dated/timed tickets. Their website has problems fairly regulalrly.

The Staten Island ferry does not get very close to the statue. You see it from a distance. It's meant to be transportation between Manhattan and SI, not a tour boat. If you want ot just see the statue up close, a Circle Line cruise or one of the

Nywatertaxi.com

options (they have a SOL Express) is far better and will get you mich closer than the free SI ferry.

2. Re: Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:07 pm, November 19, 2013
Jerseyville...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

Thank you for the advice.

I'm definately going to try to get tickets through statuecruises.com and go that way.

One more question - I did an online chat with a representative this afternoon and at that time, there were tickets available for 9:00 Sunday morning. If we went with that time, what time would you suggest scheduling the 9/11 Memorial tickets for? We'd probalby like to stop by Ellis Island on our statuecruises trip as well as Liberty Island.

Thanks again for any advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

It depends what sort of pass you get to Liberty Island. If you are getting a Crown ticket you'll need much longer.

If you're just going to the Island and then to Ellis Island I wouldn't go to the 9/11 Memorial before 2pm. I'd give an hour on Liberty Island to do the audio tour (Add more for the Pedestal option with the Museum and more again for the Crown - which includes the Pedestal).

I would imagine 1 hour at Ellis Island given the top level still isn't open. You might need to wait for a ferry between the two islands and then back to Manhattan.

And you will need lunch.

If you get back way earlier you can do many things in that area before your passes to the 9/11 Memorial. St Paul's Chapel; Trinity Church; the Museum of the American Indian; the Irish Hunger Memorial; the African Burial Ground are a few things I visited on the day I was in that area. You could also just walk slowly back along the Hudson River walkway to see the views.

The Downtown Alliance Map is great - I really like the hardcopy version but find the website confusing.

Have a great time.

5. Re: Staten Island Ferry vs Statuecruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 08, 2014