We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

This is our second trip to NYC, this time for Christmas , 18th to 27th December.

Have tried to keep it a lot less busy than the last one, we are planning to take it easier and explore the neighbourhoods, people watch in coffee shops, wander the markets etc. Will also go to a few shows using discounts from Broadway box and taking them direct to the box office on the day as we did last time, not too worried about which show, and have already got tickets for the Rockettes. We are not high end diners I have a Restaurant/Diner/Deli list by area for places we will eat if we are hungry with back ups as they are not reservation type places!

First night: Arrive check in and then Bryant Park Market, Rockefeller Centre to see tree and Times square at night, eat from either market food trucks or Halal Guys.

Day Two Thursday:

Morning: Union Square Market, plus explore area

Afternoon: Macy's Herald Square plus shops in area

Grand Central Market and tour

Evening: Christmas Window walk

Day Three Friday

Breakfast at Clinton Street

Morning: Explore Greenwich Village

Afternoon: head up to Columbus Circle to see Christmas market.

Wholefoods, walk in park, then Levain Bakery and Zabars UWS

Day Four Saturday

Morning: Chinatown food tour, sample noodles, dumplings, pancakes, custard tarts, Steam pork buns etc. Self devised and will share lots so we can taste lots!

Afternoon Brooklyn Heights , Dumbo, Jacques Torres/Almondine ride on Jane's Carousel, walk back over the Bridge.

Evening: Rockettes at Radio City 10pm

Day Five Sunday

Brooklyn Flea Williamsburg

Day Six Monday

Morning: Explore Soho, Dominique Ansells, would like to get a seat and have a pine cone dessert and or DKA or NY Paris Brest, not bothered about queuing for Cronut.

Dyker Heights tour, organising ourselves.

Day Seven Tuesday Christmas Eve

Grand Central food market, shopping for a few nibbles for Christmas day tea

Then Greenwich Village, Carolling at Washington Square Park and Gramercy Park.

Day Eight Christmas day

Chinatown for Dim Sum early lunch then walk around Central Park

Nibbles tea in room of things collected over previous days.

Day Nine Thursday Natural History Museum

Evening Broadway Show

Day Ten last day

Museum of American Indian at Bowling Green

Last Minute Shopping LES Economy Candy, Katz's

Flight home 7.30pm

Ellis Island
History Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites
New-York Historical Society Museum & Library
Art Museums, History Museums, Children's Museums, Specialty Museums
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
143 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Would love to hear more about your Dyker Heights plans. Would love to see while there but with 2 younger boys and not sure I want to commit to 3 hr organized tour.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Hi Sweis I think our tour will probably take just as long as the organised one though!

Am planning on getting the subway D to 18th Avenue and then walking the rest, it will be cold and a lot of walking but we are up for it! 11th Avenue to 13th Avenue and from 83rd to 86th Street is the area, also the B1 bus from near to the subway stop to save a bit of walking if the times match up, all would be included in the 7 day Metrocard.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Zoe, I think your itinerary looks great, tho' your Friday is very busy, and you are also visiting Greenwich Village on Day 7

Sweis, we visited Dyker Heights via the self guided option.The walk is quite long, tho' not ridiculously so, but not sure about it with 2 younger children. We had spent some time in Brooklyn before going over to see the lights (Carroll Gardens area) and this was a good way to break up the day. You could could combine a trip to Dyker Heights with time on the Promenades at Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO to see the view of the Manhattan Skyline ...don't miss a ride on Jane's Carousel ...open Thursday to Sunday at that time of year..it's too cold ofr the ponies to stay out every day.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Looks like a fantastic itinerary.

As JennyR says you have Greenwich Village twice. On Day 3 what about just doing something in that area like walk the High Line to the Chelsea Market and then wander up to Columbus Circle the UWS and use Day 7 when you will have more time to explore the Village.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Thanks for spotting I had Greenwich Village twice, I don't know why I did that now!

I have done the High line and Chelsea market and was not very impressed with the market, I may fit in a Tenement Museum tour there instead, it gives me some more planning to do though which is great, I have also got a list of other things I would like to fit in but trying to keep it light this time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

You are very organised. I too will be in New York this same week, but it will be my first time. I am just starting the planning process now so need to get my skates on. I love the sound of your itinerary and am thinking of using it as a base for our trip. I will probably just need to adjust for the more touristy things for first timers to NYC.

Any suggestions anyone!!

Have a fabulous holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

<<was not very impressed with the market>>

Me neither. But I loved the Highline and I think that the Tenement Museum is a good choice.

Places2GoLots2See ...now many days do you have? And if you begin you're own thread with some ideas like Zoe did that will help. Have you looked at the 'Must sees and Must dos' over on the right of the forum threads? They are view-able on computer or tablet but not 'smart' phone!!

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Just so you know, while the holiday market at Union Square will be open every day after Thanksgiving, the Greenmarket is only there on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

Thanks Michele

Have been to the green market last time so not worried about that, it was more frustrating as all this wonderful produce and nowhere to cook it!

10. Re: Draft loose Christmas Itinerery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, November 04, 2013
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor