We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City in January

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New York City in January

Hi all, I know this question has been asked before but the information was from 2007 etc. I am thinking of traveling to NYC in January (January 1 to 15) as it is the only time I can early next year. Can you tell me, will all the usual sightseeing options be accessible and will I find it too cold. I do not want to waste my money if I will not enjoy it. I would rather put it off until the following year :(

Thanks. :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City in January

Yes, everything will be open, except specifically summer things like Coney Island and baseball games. We have no way of knowing how cold is too cold for you. Do you generally tolerate cold well?

Edited: 7:07 am, October 30, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City in January

Ozlady have a read of this trip report done by a fellow Aussie and frequent NYC forum poster JennyR. She and her hubby spent a month there over last Christmas/New Year. Perhaps her report might give you some ideas on what things to do and see during that time of year.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5969…

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City in January

Rug up in layers so you can keep warm outside and don't over heat when you go inside.

Make sure that your itinerary includes a mixture of indoor and outdoor activities so if its raining or really cold you can go indoors.

A really good piece of advice that JennyR gives is to wear fingerless gloves under your normal gloves so that your hands don't get too cold when you are stoping to read a map or do something that requires use of your fingers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City in January

Thanks guys, I read JennyR trip, amazing! I almost cried when she said 32F around January 5 WOW, I live in Melbourne but I am from Queensland, and those of you in Australia know its a warm climate. I am thinking JUly sounds better to go, but my son is doing VCE and was told he will have homework all year on vacation time.... bummer.... so do I bite the bullet and get an experience in such a beautiful city ? there is plenty to do indoors and I am sure there will be days that are tolerable. otherwise I have to wait a whole year :(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City in January

Apart from the weather, you also need to consider that January has much less daylight compared to summer months.

Yes, there are plenty of things to do indoors but there are so many more things to do out of doors.

If it's a choice between July and January for a first visit, I would choose July.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York City in January

I wouldn't be interrupting his VCE.

Why not wait till he finishes school and go in Nov/Dec? It will be cold, but unlikely to be as cold as Jan. Accommodation will be more (Jan and Feb being the cheapest) but you have longer to save. It would also make a great schoolies trip for him!

Edited: 9:03 am, October 30, 2013
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York City in January

You mention that you found the idea of 32F a bit shocking. It's variable, but weather can be significantly warmer than that, but it can also be significantly colder (and this occurs on a regular basis). Most of the time, you can manage to be comfortable with the right clothing but the coldest days (e.g. a high of 20 F and a low of 11 F) are basically painful, especially if it's at all windy. Those are days to plan more indoor activities.

Here's a history of last January's weather. You'll see the extent of the variability. accuweather.com/en/…349727

In contrast, July can be so hot and humid that even walking around buck naked with your own personal misting cap wouldn't be much help :-) Again, it's variable. But at least it has fun summer energy, long days, pretty trees and flowers...

One more factor - air travel is more likely to be disrupted during mid-winter, with cancellations and messy re-booking issues.

All this contributes to why Spring and Fall are such popular times to visit NYC.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York City in January

Hotels are much cheaper in January. Popular Broadway shows may have more availability. Winter has it's charms -- walking NYC with a delicious cup of coffee, hot chocolate, or tea in hand, watching snow fall, visiting Central Park after a snow storm, having a drink at a bar with a nice fire going, shopping for post-Christmas bargains, etc.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York City in January

In January, you may be lucky & hit the "January thaw" where temps are spring-like. On the other hand, you may hit a blizzard. A couple of years ago, I was in NYC & there was a major blizzard over Saturday night. The biggest problem I had was that it was difficult to cross the street as intersections were not always plowed (this is a normal occurrence in snow country) & there were some hills of snow on the street. However, I'm from upstate NY & nothing of that sort bothers me & I had no problem getting around & doing what I need to do. You just have to go with the flow.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York City in January

If it was me I would be putting it off till May next year. Much nicer weather and it will give you time to save a little more. Good luck!