We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good deal?

England
Level Contributor
527 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good deal?

We are looking at a 5 night stay in New York. Our budget does not allow us to stay in the summer or early autumn, so we are looking at the last week of March. Yes, we know the weather can be changeable then, but it's not the bitterness of January or February and it seems March in the previous years has had some quite warm weather towards the end. Our max budget is about £650.

The Seton hotel seems to offer quite good rates and seems to be in a good location with good reviews. Expedia is quoting us £600, including direct return flights with Virgin LHR-JFK. That price does not include transfers or breakfast. That is also in a room with shared bathroom.

Is that good value for that time of year, or could we do better? Better hotel? Any thoughts on the Seton and how much are we looking at for breakfast outside of the hotel? I know airlines often have New Years sales, but would we be booking a bit too late if we waited until then for a March 2014 stay?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good deal?

Is that £600/person or for 2 people? The Seton is not a place I'd recommend. If you're willing to share bathrooms, there ae far better options. Have you looked at staying in Long Island City? Have you tried pricing this with air and hotel separately?

Edited: 7:50 am, October 26, 2013
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good deal?

Breakfast is everywhere in Manhattan and most hotels don't include it . You can get coffee and an egg sandwich to go for under $5. You can go to a diner with wait staff and get coffee, bacon , eggs, and potatoes for about $11 + tax and tip

England
Level Contributor
527 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good deal?

£600 each.

How quickly an we transfer to Manhattan from there and how much would it cost?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good deal?

From LIC to Manhattan is approximately a 15 minute subway ride.

Individual rides are (I think) $2.75. You get a discount if you buy a multi-ride card. An unlimited 7 day ride card is $30.

England
Level Contributor
527 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good deal?

What hotels on Manhattan do you think offer best value for money?

Is there a discount dining card for NY? Here we have a Taste card that various restaurants sign up to and you get 50% of the bill etc.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good deal?

your most economic way of getting around is the subway. the 7-day unlimited ticket, at $30 [you will need one each - no sharing] will be the best way for you, even though you only have 5 nights. that's about £20 each to cover all your transport needs except the airtrain [$5 each way each] for the whole time.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good deal?

Hoiw much are the flights only without hotels? Many hotels will allow you to cancel your booking up to a day before arrivals ( but PLEASE check the fine print before you do this) - this might allow you to book a hotel now and change if you find a better last minute deal.

Look at the apple core group ( a group of five budget hotels in midtown) - they are simple, older properties, clean and well located. I and my colleagues have stayed at some of them. For hostels try the Vanderbilt YMCA, and I think the Harlem YMCA is also recommended and is a bit cheaper.

Most budget hotels offer a free breakfast which is usually simple ( bagels, pastries, donuts, little tubs of cream cheese and jam, cereal and coffee/tea). On my last trip I stayed at the YMCA and bought bagel and coffee for breakfast ( seriously available anywhere).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good deal?

When I was looking at budget hotels the Ravel kept coming up, it's in Long Island City I kept seeing quotes for them through Expedia for $75 or 54 Euros. These are the rates I kept seeing for January. I will say though when I finally picked a hotel it was $105 the night and when I went to make a reversation the price went up $10 a night which with tax made a big difference. If you keep searching the same dates this will likely happen to you so before you search always clear the cookies off of your browser. Also, the hotel I picked was more expensive on Hotels and Expedia, going through the website directly was cheaper and saved me $15 the night.

Choicehotels.com offers 20% off if you book in advance. They have a cheap hotel in Chinatown and a few other ones in the city for less than $120 the night.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good deal?

The Ravel is not well located within close walk to the subway.

If you're willing to share a bathroom, the Pod Hotel 51 in Manhattan is often good value; the Newton hotel on the upper west side has some standard rooms with shared bathroom. The Pod 39 has private bathrooms but very small rooms. The Bedford has private bathrooms and is sometimes well priced. The St. Marks is another. But depending on when you come, you could well get a much nicer hotel than any of these by using Hotwire or bidding on Priceline.

England
Level Contributor
527 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a good deal?

We're not looking for YMCA budget type accommodation, but we don't want 5* either. Something around the 3* range works for us. We'd ideally like our own bathroom too. Breakfast included would be great, but not essential.

We are travelling as a couple so would want somewhere with double beds.

Expedia seem to offer the best flight and hotel package rates. Flights alone are more expensive than the packages. Would you suggest waiting for the new years sales?