We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

My wife and I will be in New York from 05 January 2014 to 10 January 2014. This will be our first trip to New York and currently trawling trip advisor daily looking for "the right hotel" and the right price etc,Finding it very difficult to choose a modern hotel with a view in our price range. We are in our late forties,fit walk around 5 miles daily so don't mind walking to the subway each day and enjoy modern hotel's with a view if possible.............I am interested in the new Marriott Courtyard/Central Park hotel opening dec 2013 . It look's like a good spot ?and has got reasonable opening specials with a Central Park/Times square rooms with a view. Also checked the Viceroy also opening 9 Oct 2013 and awaiting review's from fellow trip advisor's on their experience. We also like the look of the Conrad and Andaz in the Financial district and also Trump Soho. Would appreciate any advice, from fellow advisor's as its our 30th wedding anniversay and would hate to book a lemon. Probably looking around 400/450 dollar's a day maximum per night.Will the courtyard be open in time as they are currently taking booking's....Apologies for the long winded request and thanking you all in advance

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

This future opening shows the same address as the closed and under renovation "annoyingly named" (New York Times ... ) Flatotel New York. It has been closed for renovation for six months or a year. It looks like a thorough job. But the photo on the Marriott site creates the impression of new construction.

I'm sure it will meet whatever standards the Marriott sub-brand of Courtyard or Residence Inn requires. It's certainly a good location, if 1/2 mile from the theaters in the 40's. (Remember, studies show that New Yorkers walk larger distances than in most other American cities.)

If I sound a little snippy, it's because the Flatotel regularly made illegal closures of its Bonusable Amenity "through-block" walkway, and operated a bar there in likely disregard of NY State Liquor Authority rules about separation from public space. That shouldn't keep you from booking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

Jan. hotel prices are typically quite low in relative terms so your budget is quite generous for that time of year. While both the Conrad and the Andaz Wall St. are lovely hotels, the financial district is generally not the place to stay for a first visit and definitely not in Jan. when the wind and cold comes whipping off the water down there. I would really eliminate those. Trump Soho is a lovely hotel although at least 1 40 something couple felt it was too trendy for them. But I think it might have been a summer visit when the rooftop pool does attract a very model conscious see and be seen crowd. But I think Soho in general is a good option if you'd rather not be in midtown. Trump International in midtown has some gorgeous park views and the London hotel in midtown has some vista suites with great park views.

The Viceroy looks lovely but I haven't been inside. I don't know whether the new Marriott Tower will open on time (late openings are common here).

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

Is the new Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park where the old Flatotel was (as per post 1)? I ask because the addresses are different and the Marriott website states it's a newly constructed "skyscraper" at 1717 Broadway.

I'll be in NYC the week after the OP and Jan is about the only time I could afford a Central Park view. :-)

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

Mez 3000, I think its only fair that you should try it out and feedback for the team?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

But it won't help you...you leave the day I arrive! :-)

Miami, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

Please update once you find a hotel. My husband and I are looking for the summer. Thanks!!

8. Re: Courtyard/Residence inn New york/central park open q4 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 05, 2015